Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Anyone know why the remote bar is flickering like in the video?

I was slowly pushing the thumb wheel forward like accelerating, the bar just kept flickeringā€¦

Remote is a Flipsky VX1ā€¦

Which imperial measurements are used in Canada though?

British or American?

A gallon in the US does not equal a gallon in the UK

Metric ftw.

3 Likes

I never knew this shocking and disgusting fact. Thank you

3 Likes

This hurts my brainā€¦
We donā€™t use gallons though thankfully

Do you use pints, ounces, or quarts?
Same story.

1 Like

Sup guys, i wonder whatā€™s that on my lipos?

found out when I took a look inside enclosure just for regular check

any clues?
I ride with 2 packs of that in my board

1 Like

its kind of protective tape? similar to this but looks like wet and ā€œfrayedā€?
I have to worry about that?

Nah, we use, strangely enough, litres and millilitres, but cups and tablespoons and such for baking and cookingā€¦

Hello guys!
This is my first post here, this forum here looks great!
My noob question:
I got an icruiser board from iwatskate, it costs just 60ā‚¬ and i was trying it a few days ago.
It is my first electric board and i would like to know if there are some improvements possible like adding some Li-ions and so on. The max speed is like 16 km/h, i know - very slowly :smiley:

thank you

1 Like

Hi Justin-

First of all, welcome.

As much as I hate to say this to you, thereā€™s nothing worth building on or improving with this kind of board. Itā€™s made with the cheapest parts possible, so it would be much better to start over than try to improve it.

5 Likes

Hi BillGordon,

thank you for the fast response.
I have to say it was a nice experience to ride an electric skateboard.
I was expecting to read something like that. So give the board as a present to my nephew rather than keeping it myself :smiley:
What are the best options do build or ride a ā€œstealthyā€ board? In my country esk8 is of course forbidden.

1 Like

We have a few people facing the same issues. Where are you located, if you donā€™t mind me asking?

Do a search for Hummie Hubs, as thatā€™s one of the more stealth options, or search for neoHUB. The most stealthy tech of all is Jaykay, but theyā€™re still a very big question mark.

The Vx1

Hi, iā€™m Sig and iā€™m a noob.
I want a reliable 5V output from my battery to add a 5V 2A USB charger, front and back lights and other stuff on my board, so the 5V1.5A output on the ESC wonā€™t be enough.
My idea was to put a beefy buck converter in parallel with the ESC. But my BMS is a common charge/discharge port, and the ESC does regenerative breaking.
From my (very) basic knowledge of electronics, this means that iā€™ll fry the buck converter when breaking, or if there is a reverse voltage protection on it, there will be no output from it when pushing energy back into the battery. So, what can i do ?

Iā€™m probably overthinking this, or underthinking, or not thinking at all in the right direction. This is alien territory for me, iā€™m a web dev, i donā€™t dabble in voodoo magic. Except a bit of JS.

4 Likes

Unrelated comment to esk8 but that antiperspirant leaves pit stains on clothes. Would not recommend.

3 Likes

Why you think heā€™s rubbing it on his belts :joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

Thank for the info but donā€™t worry itā€™s sole purpose is to make my belts quiet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Youā€™re on track with a buck converter in parallel. The only criteria is the converterā€™s peak input voltage needs to exceed your battery voltage (Regen braking should not exceed peak full charge voltage in ideal conditions).

Either way, as long as the buck converter is rated similar to ESC voltage, youā€™re fine. For ex. upper voltage limit on current VESC is 60V, which means if your buck converter can handle up to 60V, youā€™re fine. Exceeding that is going to blow the ESC anyway so you should try not to.

2 Likes

I grew up in the metric system but living in the US for 2 years and owning US made mountain bikes, cars skateboard & longboards its second nature alto means my toolbox is twice the size.

1 Like

i use these in a lot of my builds
They will work with even 13S and had 144 rgb leds and a usb bike light and brake lights. I also brake out a waterproof usb to the side of the enclosure to charge my phone, remote.

#Aliexpress AU $4.39 15%OFF | DC DC 7V-60V to 5V 5A 4 Four USB Output Buck Converter Board Step Down Transformer Power Supply Module Car Charger High Speed
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d8W7FzN

Latest build i am using a 7a monster twice the size and 4 times the price.

3 Likes