Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Just a regular firmware flash doesn’t do it?

If you face issues, sometimes a clean installation via SWD helps.

2 Likes

yeah i have no idea what he is talking about…

Does the standard 4.12 vesc even have the swd port?
Edit : is it the long plug above the uart connector?

EDIT 2: it seems to be the motor?? Just connected the vesc to my tb 6374 and detection worked immediately (swapped to ack beforehand but i don’t think thats the solution because the vesc also was on ack when i had the issue. Time to investigate the sk3 6374 :thinking:

EDIT 3 : that little *ucker. Disconnected while being in 2 layers of heatshrink.

1 Like

Is it possible to use UART when connecting two vescs via can bus? Just connect to
Each VESC first via UART setup the motor configs. Then plug in the can and set can FWD?

Does somebody have the vesc tool with FW 4.0 and not 4.1? Metr doesn’t support 4.1 yet.

Got it.

Did i get this right…?
vesc tool 2.0 has fw 3.66 without hfi
Vesc tool 2.01 has fw 4.0 but without HFI.
Vesc tool 2.02 has fw 4.1 with HFI but metr pro doesn’t support 4.1 yet?

if i load tool 2.1 and go to firmware it shows me available fw 4.0, once i connect to my vesc it jumps to 3.66
@Trampa

EDIT : just updated the firmware even though it stated 3.66, now i’m at 4.0 (see video)

As @MysticalDork said, just out it back in

If you want post a picture of the connector on the PCB, some have a matching that you have to release first, be careful, they are really fragile

1 Like

yes i tried it once 2 years ago and bent the fk out of it and then had to send it to repairs because my knowlewdge at that time was poor with electronics. That is why i asked, to avoid making another mistake :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can i use twezzers? the pcb is very out of reach within a cylinder :roll_eyes:

1 Like

How to calculate hubmotor/directdrive speeds.
Motor pulley: 1
SLAVE PULLEY: 1
10S
~60kv
Gives around 30km/h.

Am I missing something?

It should work if you slow

1 Like

Sorry for the flooding.

What could be the cause for this big difference?

Same motor, same vesc. Top one was the first run, bottom second.

Also the second run had a pretty loud and scratchy sounding detection compared to the usual for deeper sound.

i don’t understand why i always have problems with my hardware. Just look at the videos i’ve uploaded to showcase it.

3 Likes

Off the top of my head that sounds all in the feasible range.

RPM ~= kv x voltage
RPM x wheel circumference = forward speed

Basically same as belt drive calculations but without the step of convert for motor pulley vs wheel pulley ratio.

1 Like

Just because you document your problems doesn’t mean you’re the only one who has them :smiley: I think everyone deals with hardware/mechanical issues and strangeness with the variety of VESCs available so you aren’t alone but the videos are good if you update description or comments point to an answer can use them to help others with similar problems.

Regarding the uH value discrepancy… No idea. If there was something metal or magnetic near the motor when it was running the values could be quite a bit off but honestly would need to dig into the code to see where these values are used and how much that change would “weigh” in the equation.

3 Likes

Just feels like such a massive amount of things.

All videos are unlisted and most don’t even have a solution.

Nothing really, just my pc but the first reading was on the same position. (Maybe the first one was via the ACK fw and the second one stock, but thats just a guess)

also, HFI isn’t plotting / pressing the brake button just makes a click sound from the Motor.

Yah with different versions of the firmware perhaps there was a bugfix somewhere along the way that changed the values but it could have also been environmental or other changes to setup that effect the value if done at different times. Sorry haven’t yet tried bumping anything to try HFI out yet, have the extra hardware sitting around though will give it a shot if will run on 4.x hardware

I have a question!

So I’m using this Boardnamics mount with an idler:

and I’m pretty sure that the belt actually manages to get caught by the wheel, and the wheel pulls it over the idler! Like this:

It happened once before, but I thought it was partly because my motor pulley was loose. But now it’s definitely not loose, so it really is just the wheel catching the belt I think. Has anyone else had this happen? How did you fix it?

2 Likes

tire diameter

and if you want to be more particular (ie going for world record, etc):

frontal area
drag coefficient
fluid density of air
motor electrical resistance
motor current limit setting
battery current limit setting
motor quantity
max controller duty cycle
grade / slope
vehicle mass
acceleration of gravity on earth’s surface
bldc or foc

1 Like

Updated to fw 4.1 and obviously lost metr compatability. Now it makes the braking sound but doesn’t show the graph… :upside_down_face:

i think i let this sit for a few weeks and in the meantime i go back to the old FW.

1 Like

Yah definitely wouldn’t ride with it yet stick to stable just use latest for testing until your sure enough its good.

I don’t know how you secured that mount to the truck, but swap the side its on if you can so you’ll have belt run-off towards the baseplate instead of the wheel. Also you’re not using the close ended sides of your motor pulley to limit belt movement which is why your belt is getting caught on the wheel.

Edit: Either buy a 15mm belt, a 12mm motor pulley, or move your motor mount towards the baseplate.

2 Likes

The mount is not symmetrical, so that is not an option unfortunately. I also think the same could happen to a 15mm belt :confused:

Besides, I’d like to upgrade to dual idlers later on, so that could still be an issue I think.

1 Like