Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Unity is not compatible with ack firmwareā€¦ Roll it back to the stock unity firmware and it should work fine.
EDIT: I read more replies in the threadā€¦ Try downloading latest tool version if you havenā€™t alreadyā€¦ Loading ack may have borked something though in which case youā€™ll have to go to GitHub at which point my knowledge endsā€¦ Perhaps @Deodand will be able to chime in?

1 Like

Im not heavy but I break stuff

2 Likes

Wellā€¦ ^^ So far they survived my offroading fat ass.

1 Like

I think youā€™re right about running the Ack fw over road the Focbox Tool from seeing my unity and apply unity fw. So I just loaded the Focbox UI Tool and while pressing and holding the power button, the focbox UI pushed the unity fw, so everything was fixed after that and I could run the config through the Focbox UI and it works great now!

Thanks @BluPenguin @itsrow and @Jordicious

I thought I bricked my new Unity, but all is good now!

5 Likes

Bricking a unity is a painful thing to recognize, best to avoid the mental torture.

Happy to help.

3 Likes

Whats the best way to trim motor shafts? I need to shave off about 3mm and am not sure what tool most people use.

Motor in vise, spin up, sandpaper on shaft!
Jk, seriously donā€™t do that.
The right way would be to remove the shaft and turn it down on a lathe but you might not have oneā€¦
Not sure what the diy/ghetto version would be :confused:

1 Like

Man I almost thought you were serious for a second :sweat_smile:
Good thing I donā€™t have a vise, let alone a lathe.

And when I say shave off 3mm I mean from the length, not diameter

Got a dremel with a cutoff wheel? Spin the motor while you hit it with a cutoff. Works just like a ghetto lathe, take your time. Donā€™t have a dremel? Go grab a cutoff wheel and do the same thing except it will take much longer, but the cutoff will still do itā€™s job as the motor is spinning.

3 Likes

Thank you that sounds very doable, Iā€™ll give it a shot :grin:

Just be careful lolā€¦ Cutoff wheels are already spinning super fast, plus the motor shaft spinningā€¦ Wear eye protection and all that good stuff.

1 Like

Ironically, it helps a lot to make sure the motor and the cutoff wheel are spinning in opposite directions. Otherwise youā€™re just going to just be spending a really long time rolling a cutoff wheel on a motor shaft at high speed :joy: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

I have read tips and tricks here that involve using Ziploc bags and painters tape to seal as much of the motor away from the shaft thatā€™s being cut. those metal filings will fly everywhere, and will be attracted to the magnets that are in the rotor

2 Likes

I had that wedge feeling when I first started using them. It was either having them way too tight or way too loose. Have you tried varying the set screws?

i think so. I even drilled the hole of the shockblock deeper so the screws take up more space inside it, making it harder to compress but no luck.

Is your nylon baseplate broken or deformed maybe? Thatā€™s a crazy amount of turn for red blocks.

1 Like

Not that i know. Iā€™ll have a look.

Complete derail but Iā€™m on here already, peeps here with experience on ebay: Iā€™ve been selling spare shit I have on Ebay that Iā€™m never going to use, sent a pair of motors to some dude, tracking says it showed up, he messages me saying he never got it, didnā€™t explicitly ask for a refund, I mentioned Iā€™ll refund him after I file lost package insurance with USPS, since Iā€™m not 100% sure if I punched in right address, a week later I tell him that he needs to ask for a refund through Ebay and Iā€™ll honor it, not heard from him at allā€¦ Was he trying to pull a fast one?

2 Likes

Hard to tell, sometimes USPS hides packages really well but itā€™s also possible he was trying to catch you with your pants down.

1 Like