Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Anyone know if newer bluetooth modules are supported by the VESC software(edit)? Namely Hm19 or any bluetooth5.0 modules?

I believe the VESC just uses a custom protocol over UART for communication (only thing I found searching the repo about bluetooth was a commit to change the rx_timeout in packet.c by Roman presumably to give it enough time to connect before timeout)

I’m by no means a VESC firmware expert but starting to learn my way around STM32 tools and FreeRTOS (unfortunately VESC uses ChibiOS which I’m even less familiar with). I can’t find anything in the OS layer regarding a bluetooth driver though either, so I believe it is just using UART function calls from the VESC side of things and up to the module firmware to use (or implement, but I think can be copy pasted) the same packet format for communication over the UART.

Old article from Benjamin here too so source is probably a better view of current state of things but can get conceptual understanding of how it worked then at least http://vedder.se/2015/10/communicating-with-the-vesc-using-uart/

Edit could be standard Bluetooth firmware too and maybe the custom protocol just needs to happen at the serial communication layer (or I could be totally wrong all around… so yah take it all with a lump of salt)

You obviously know more about this subject than I do and since you seem pretty unsure I’ll stick with HM10, thanks though!

Yeah, KD has just about the best price and selection for flashlight parts, LEDs, and the like. Their shipping is predictably slow since they’re overseas, but I usually don’t mind.

Banggood is my other go-to source for random stuff - From electronic modules to endmills, they’ve got quite a range of stuff for the penny-pinching DIYer.

1 Like

hi all i messaged this thread earlier about figuring out how to set up dicky’s mounts but probably no such guide exists. today when i was testing out my board, the motor mounts keep slipping and the motors hit the ground, scratching them. I was wondering if someone who is familiar with the setup of dicky’s motor mounts can look at these pictures and tell me if i am missing some assembly. I wonder this because dicky sent a bag of screws that i didnt use at all, because I can’t figure out where it goes.

Also, i don’t know how close together to mount the motors. They scratch against each other. Can someone advise? Thank you

2 Likes

The screws shown in the bag are for mounting the motors. Since you already have your motors mounted, you can disregard those screws.

Are both the large clamping bolts and the smaller setscrews properly tightened? The nearer setscrew looks loose.

Slight chafing between the backs of the motor cans is not uncommon with large motors. You can try to shim things apart a little with speed rings, but it shouldn’t be a big deal.

1 Like

Grubs are not torqued, for starters. And Paris profile are the hardest to get locked down.

1 Like

I loosened them when i got home. But on the road, i think the roads here are really bumpy so the vibrations cause them to come loose

Use a threadlocker. I recommend Loctite 243.

How tight are they? Those are fairly beeft fasteners. You can crank them down pretty hard if you’ve got good Wera allen wrenches.

1 Like

If proper torque (you can look up the recommended maximum torque for your hardware sizes online) and application of threadlocker doesn’t solve the problem, I would suggest removing the coating from the trucks and inside of the mounts, and using a high-strength retaining compound such as 648 or 680 on the joint in addition to retorquing all the screws.

If THAT doesn’t work, JB weld.

If THAT doesn’t work, throw those trucks away and get ones that aren’t round.

4 Likes

On surf rodz 8mm hex, is the hanger length including the axle bolt? Says 159mm is that nut to nut?

1 Like

Hello, I am looking into 3d printing a riser, should I use tpu or petg? Thanks!

It depends if you want a squishy riser or a solid one. PETG will be more solid, TPU will be more squishy

What is a grub? Is paris trucks hard because its rounded

1 Like

These little guys:

Yes. The only thing holding them in place is clamping force, and/or grub screws/loctite. It can be made secure, but with added steps and added failure points.

Square shape (good) or hex shape (better) truck hangers have the shape of the hanger to resist rotation.

Although Dickyho trucks like yours (I also have a few sets) use clamp force and grub screws for all kinds of trucks, with only the internal sleeve changing for the different truck profiles.

4 Likes

So I just got the benchwheel remote hooked up to my unity, set the UART baud rate, everything looks good… But I’m not getting the battery level on the remote. The remote is connecting to the receiver (lights go all blinky) but I got no UART… Anyone have any ideas?

You need to configure the unity via usb to focbox tool, not UI. And set control to UART/nunchuck

1 Like

I did both of those things… Still no battery indicator :frowning:

Huh, weird. Is the benchwheel compatible with vesc 4.xx? That’s the part I’m not sure about

On their site they describe it as being “for vesc, focbox, etc”