Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

There are some on amazon with ~5 day shipping that work well for me. I would post a link but it doesn’t allow me.

1 Like

I have issues with my unsealed, uncensored motors in the rain. They are like 3x less powerful and brakes are near non-existent (not due to slipping). What might be the cause?

2 Likes

Bad coating of the board would likely short the whole thing out. I’m not sure what would cause that to be honest.

3 Likes

You can look in other places too, since vbeltsupply’s shipping to AU is probably pretty steep; Just search for “395-5m-15”, that will get you more accurate results.

3 Likes

There’s no way to know for sure, but chances are pretty good that the BMS can handle 5A - Most can handle that easily.

2 Likes

What’s the softest I can go on a set of bushings for a pair of gullwing widewinders? I know the stock is 89a and I was thinking 84a. 120lbs rider and a Landyachtz drophammer deck, not planning to go above 20 mph with it

1 Like

yeah it is just small (3inch x 1.5 inch) so I don’t know and don’t want to pop it and wait for another to come in the mail!

Do I have much to worry about since the bms will only pull as much current as it is able?
as in since I am not over volting it, it won’t have a problem pulling too much power?

1 Like

It won’t “pull as much current as it is able” (that’s now how BMS’ work), but the worst that would happen is that it would just shut off and stop charging.

3 Likes

good enough for me. much thanks

1 Like

here it is

1 Like

Not the worst I’ve seen, but far from the best. Looks like only a single (fairly thick) nickel strip for both S and P connections (which will likely get fairly toasty under heavy load), and no insulation between P-groups, which doesn’t bode well for long term vibration tolerance.

That BMS is only rated for 40A, so yeah that would definitely cut out and cause a bad day if you tried to pull the full 80A a 10s4p of 30Q cells is capable of if it’s not bypassed for discharge. That said, I don’t think I would trust that single nickel (“nickel”) strip with 80A either.

3 Likes

Can’t tell from that about the single nickel but the pack is not a complete bomb. As Ryan said there is a fair bit wrong but better than I thought. Bms wiring is a spaghetti meatball surprise.

I think the fact that they put a 40amp discharge bms in there tells a story.

Not a fan of tabs for main connections either. That said it is not a disaster. What deck are you using?

3 Likes

Landyachtz Switchblade (40). Yea idk whats going on with this wiring all over the damn place can’t even move the bms out of the way. Gonna rewire this thing to only be charge only but still will keep it to 60A just to be safe. Just to be doubly sure i just need to chop off the connection from the charge port to the P- on the BMS and connect it directly to the battery ?

not sure if this is any better

1 Like

That’s not bad except that there is basically no flex in that battery. If that is going into a fully ridged deck then it might survive for awhile, if the deck has any flex, those nickel bridges will fatigue and break in no time. Even if the deck is solid carbon fiber, the vibration over time will try to rip that pack apart.

4 Likes

See this distortion on your single nickel connection?

Do not put this pack in a flexible deck. I would not trust that over time.

4 Likes

Ideally you want the P groups separated and connected with something flexible. 8-10 gauge wire between the P groups instead of nickel would work great. If in the rare case that you are low on space width wise, Try something like this to keep the pack flexible and compact at the same time.

3 Likes

If you want to have a charge only BMS, you’re gonna want to…
cut the B- and P- leads at the BMS
connect a 14awg to 20awg wire to the B- on the BMS
join all 3 ends together

Current will flow from the battery negative (black wire) to the ESC negative (blue wire). Do not touch the charger negative (yellow wire), it is fine as it is

3 Likes

@ahrav I used flat tinned copper braid, of equivalent cross section to 10AWG. Works fantastic, and is lower profile than round wire.

I still have a bunch of it - If you decide to try your hand at battery pack upgrades, I’ll send you a chunk for the price of shipping.

2 Likes

I have Keda 190kv and
MBS 100mm wheels chain driven.

My noob question is…my wheel and motor spin easily whether powered on or not I can basically push it as if it was a normal skateboard without a motor.

Is that normal?