Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Can I confirm that countersunk truck mounting bolts are size m5? I’m looking to buy countersunk cone washers and wanted to make sure I got the right size

1 Like

What’s the standard 2 pin connector that most battery charge ports use called? They’re normally red and look like a long jst.

I keep seeing them only listed as jst and not the standard ph zh xh notation after.

Pin to pin measures about 2.5 so maybe xh?

Uhm, wat?

hahah lol. which part is the wat in regards to? My setup is using the TB 90kV motors, vesc6, and 12s4p battery pack from mboards. (after further reading i noticed a lot of people had issues with getting stuff from mboards, and there are other places to get battery packs that are built with charge only BMS)

3 Likes

Welcome my friend.

What cells are in the pack?

3 Likes

I’m guessing the cells are garbage. Mboards offers one of the lowest quality for the most money differentials out there.

3 Likes

Advertised as 30q’s and even Mike Beard wouldn’t bullshit that info.

I hope.

@ahrav what are your battery max settings?

1 Like

hahaha. I think the batt max was set to 65 or 70, and i believe the BMS is set to 60A discharge so… (not a great combo)

1 Like

Then you have to keep the battery amps below that figure or it will pop as it probably has. A 30q 4p is capable of discharging 80 amps so 40 per vesc but thats wringing its neck and you should try to leave a little headroom.

says he who maxes out all amp settings

You need to do some troubleshooting on the pack but does seem likely you have blown that weedy bms

6 Likes

hahahah learning lessons the hard way i guess. Thanks makes sense.

5 Likes

Either M5 or #10-32, they are the same diameter basically so M5 washers still with either way

2 Likes

If you want to run a 12s4p through a discharge bms then you need a high rated unit or now you need to hit the battery thread and wire up a charge only unit.

Welcome to the hotel california

4 Likes

yeaaa thats what i have been reading. I think ill just rewire it to use it as charge only. Lesson learned… do more research before buying. (thats why this is in the noob question thread)

3 Likes

Yup, it hurts but the lesson sticks with you.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. Account bumped and we apologise in advance for @Kellag.

9 Likes

If you are going to open that pack then I would be very interested to see whats in there. Mboards pretend they make their packs but they source them from Shenzhen and I wonder what kind of build quality we are looking at. Please share the guts if you do have to open it up.

4 Likes

Haha i was confused when you put TB and “not the best” in the same sentence :joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Mboard batteries on the other hand…

2 Likes

definitely gonna open this thing up, ill throw the pics in here of whatever i uncover.

4 Likes

i don’t blame you it was a pretty rambling paragraph.

3 Likes

Anyone have 2 395mm 15mm wide belts? Only places that have em are Chinese eBay with multi week shipping times and I REFUSE TO WAIT

1 Like

Hey guys I bought a 36v prebuilt board off ebay, and I am actually pretty satisfied with the performance.

Only issue I have is that it charges rather slowly at 42v/2amps. I can’t seem to find any specs on the bms after I have opened it up.

Would it be a bad idea to connect the 42v/5amp charger? How can I find out the max charge current for a bms aside from contacting the seller?

1 Like