Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Yes, that looks correct.

1 Like

https://www.bbman.com/belt-length-calculator/ << that’s the belt length calculator I use.

I got all my belts from https://www.vbeltsupply.com/

1 Like

Figures it out for unity, unity tool vesc topl copy, same thing.

1 Like
3 Likes

I was riding and noticed the power is only like 60% what I’m used to, I looked back and saw my battery meter was at 100% after half mile when usually it’s already at like 75%, I noticed This connector came loose, I plugged it back in restarted board and it’s still showing 100% battery even after I rode it another 1.5 miles. I check and battery meter solders are still in tact. Any ideas on this? Also should add I have a 3dsevisas anti spark inline too.

3 Likes

To give any kind of intelligent answer, we need more information, including but not limited to such details as: What does that connector go to? What’s your battery configuraiton? What’s your vesc configuration? Is your battery meter set correctly? and many more.

As it stands, your question is equivalent to going to a mechanic and saying “my car is making a funny sound after I unplugged a thing. What’s wrong with it?”

1 Like

I found some real great looking high-torque APS motors that I really like.
Only 1 issue - I’m planning on running 12s and they’re only rated to 10s… Has anyone run 10s motors at 12s without issues or is that a stupid idea?

Should be okay, just put an ERPM limit equal to 294 times the KV

Since motors are just dumb sets of copper coils wrapped around steel pole pieces, with magnets around the outside, they are pretty much voltage-agnostic.

Higher voltage gives higher RPM, and higher voltage plus higher KV can lead to exceeding the safe ERPM of the controller.

The main issue is thermal - Higher voltage for a given motor means you can pass more current, which means more power output, but also more power lost as heat. That heat has to go somewhere, and larger motors can store and dissipate more heat than smaller ones.

TLDR, check your KV/ERPM limits, but otherwise you should be fine.

2 Likes

Fault : FAULT_CODE_ABS_OVER_CURRENT
Current : 144.7
Current filtered : 140.4
Voltage : 38.89
Duty : 0.005
RPM : 23212.7
Tacho : 798836
Cycles running : 1234
TIM duty : 263
TIM val samp : 131
TIM current samp : 26505
TIM top : 52747
Comm step : 5
Temperature : 51.17

VESC keeps cutting out. It also has DRV error but is still working but cuts out occasionally and feels like I put the brakes on. Seems this is already unsafe to ride…how do you avoid this? I’m using Flipsky esc.

Day before rode around for 1.5hrs without any problems it went perfectly, next day rode it 10 minutes and it kept trying to throw me off. Checking today and same problem even worse so plugged it in and got the above fault. and below.

Fault : FAULT_CODE_DRV
Current : 156.0
Current filtered : 4.3
Voltage : 38.24
Duty : 0.877
RPM : 49467.8
Tacho : 766022
Cycles running : 56538
TIM duty : 4035
TIM val samp : 2083
TIM current samp : 4385
TIM top : 4603
Temperature : 51.17

I’m happy to have more conservative settings if it means it wont die like this. at present its very powerful anything I should change?

Everything is pretty much default from ackmaniack tool except regen

2 Likes

People don’t give reliability enough credit.

Everyone wants bigger and faster and further, but if it doesn’t run, it doesn’t matter. Any esk8 that’s not broken is better than any other esk8 that is broken :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Which flipsky? If you relax your motor/amp settings does this still occur?

What’s your battery/BMS look like?

Have yet to change the settings at all, what should I change specifically? I just took it out again after clearing faults and got these two riding it extremely slowly.

Currently no BMS / battery is 10s

The following faults were registered since start:

Current : 14.4
Current filtered : 144.1
Voltage : 39.90
RPM : 9578.4
Tacho : 1294490
Cycles running : 178751
TIM duty : 263
TIM val samp : 131
TIM current samp : 26505
TIM top : 52747
Comm step : 1
Temperature : 51.10

Current : 35.0
Current filtered : 139.4
Voltage : 38.82
RPM : 7940.6
Tacho : 1521148
Cycles running : 146516
TIM duty : 271
TIM val samp : 135
TIM current samp : 26467
TIM top : 52664
Temperature : 67.78

1 Like

Those are only good to 50a max, depending on how old the revision you have is, a lot of them had a number of incorrectly spec’d components that make them unstable beyond 50a motor.

Is this a dual motor or a single motor setup?

1 Like

Dang I hope I have not done irreversible damage.

It’s a single motor

1 Like

You should be okay, the reason its cutting out is a fault tolerant behavior. It can cause damage but it’s not a 100% type of thing and depends entirely on load and circumstance.

Can you tell me a bit more about your battery? 10S2P/3P? Where did you get it?

I can give you some settings to try if I know what your battery can deliver

1 Like

That is good to hear!

5 of these in series / 10s2p

1 Like

So you’ve got plenty of battery amps available, more than you’ll need to power one motor but your ESC will handle how much current to use.

I would recommend 45 motor amps and 30 battery amps to start with. You might try 50/35-40 motor/battery next. Your reverse current/Regen is fine, and usually to preference of brake responsiveness at high/low speeds.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

2 Likes

You’re so helpful for a penis butt guy

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

So does below look better? If it’s lacking in power (as I have hectic hills here) what the max I can really afford to go to without breaking stuff? 50a?

@DerelictRobot main question as you already answered the above really, is do I need to change the “Absolute Maximum Current” or is it fine as is?

Lol yeah I guess that’s why I was able to ride around for 1.5hrs and still have juice left? It’s amazing actually.

1 Like