Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I just downloaded the last version is 1.26 but now one vesc is not working give the same fault:(

Couple of things… what kv are your motors there is a limit to the max “eRPM” you can have the VESC 4.x hardware fry at and some combination of voltage+kv at full speed will push the DRV beyond it’s limits in the configuration it has on VESC 4.x (usually this results in a visible blow out/mini crater on the DRV chip). I believe the “DRV Fault” in general means the DRV MOSFET driver chip is no longer speaking to the MCU (main brains/CPU/memory), which is not a great sign.

Second thing maybe related, that switch doesn’t seem appropriate, typically we will use an “antispark loopkey” to connect or disconnect batteries directly or else will use a switch that is hooked up to a BMS that actually cuts the battery power (I would take that out of the circuit for the time being to see if it’s causing issues).

Scratch the KV question see it was posted in the original post I hadn’t made it that far back yet… I think you’re okay with 149kv even at 12S since 50.4V x 149 = 7509rpm (theoretical unloaded max) it’s under the 8500 or so that would usually cause a problem (60k eRPM)

1 Like

yes, and I have never use the motors to full speed, the only one time they spun was with the wizard (today)

when I conected this vesc of this way to the version 1.25 the detection was well, but now with 1.26 and a firmware 3.63 gives “FAULT_CODE_DVR”, the strange is that the other vesc doesn’t give that fault , it spin with the wizard.
I dont know what to do I was thinking in configure the vesc without the wizard , but I fear damage them, or damage the only one that is working now.
one question if the dvr is damaged the detection by the wizard in the motor would be possible or what exactly the dvr does?

1 Like

I was watching but it doeesn’t look burned

1 Like

Yah looks fine to me but could be some connection or GND plane connection under the chip just isn’t well connected or something. Would contact support wherever you got it before going much further to see if they will offer a replacement VESC so as to not void any sort of warranty or return offer. In general the DRV8302 is a chip from Texas instruments that is made for controlling the rapid opening and closing of the “gates” (MOSFETs big black components near the output to motor) the other square looking chip on there is a STM32 it is the processor/MCU you flash when you are writing new firmware and thing you’re talking to when using the config tool but the MCU needs to tell the DRV chip when to open the gates and for whatever reason above my head it can blow out if run above a certain frequency in the current setup on 4.x boards (newer 6.x stuff used DRV8301 and other changes that fix this problem).

Anyway random stuff aside would simplify the setup as much as you can for the one vesc testing for each one initially (if you’ve done this already just contact manufacturer).

okey thak you for the explanation :slight_smile: the problem is that the seller dont give me warranty because I bought this 1 year ago, and the warranty was for one month only.:(,
so if the vesc dont work else, is replace the dvr my only one option?

1 Like

I have a Bluetooth module from @BuildKitBoards , can I use it with a 6.6 ESC

Yes. Make sure rx and tx are in the correct orientation

1 Like

It’s meant for 4.12 so I guess I just swap them?

1 Like

I’d plug it in first and check it if you get any readings. If no telemetry shows up, I’d swap the pins.

2 Likes

Yeah, pretty much. There are folks here on the forum that provide a vesc/DRV repair service for a pretty reasonable price.

You could always buy another vesc, or try to replace it yourself, but neither is a great idea - To replace a DRV you really need a good amount of experience with surface-mount soldering and hot air rework.

the problem is that I live in colombia jaja, do you know someone who works that here

I don’t, sorry.

I had the exact same problem!
with @BuildKitBoards bluetooth module and cable
Never solved it!

I’m watching

2 Likes

Yah just try to eliminate other possible causes and try with different motor on each ESC, guess is it won’t matter but doesn’t hurt to try whatever you can with it at this point.

If you want to you can probe for power to the DRV but like mystical said it isn’t easy and is easy to short things if working on live components and directly off battery power (as opposed to bench power supply with current and voltage control)

While we are at it… I have new 3d servivas press fit pulleys. Shouldn’t they fit in both ways or only in one? They fit only on the logo side of my ollin popocas. The dickyho pulleys fit on both sides

1 Like

hello, I was trying to configure the vesc’s manually to comprove if it works but how should I set this values for two batteries that give me together 12s ,44.4v and 8Ah.
the motors have 149kv

thank,you

each battery has 25C

12s4p 30t = 12Ah at 140Amps
12s4p 40t = 16Ah at 120Amps
12s5p 30q= 15Ah at 100Amps

6 Likes

It’s supposed to be a tight fit, mallet those bitches in

4 Likes