Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

A BMS requires no human intervention after installation. Thus no human error is introduced each time you have to charge. Thus no stupid shit like accidentally swapping two plugs, or shorting something out.

People are dumb, and everyone makes mistakes. Thus itā€™s an extremely good idea to minimize the possibility of mistakes involving lipo batteries that really most sincerely want to BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN the second you donā€™t have 100% of your attention on the job at hand.

You can charge multiple packs in parallel, just donā€™t try that while theyā€™re already in series for running the skateboard. Thatā€™s an instant short circuit.

You can get parallel-charging adapters that will allow you to plug in all your balance cables the correct way.

3 Likes

Sounds like thermal throttling to me - Check the temperature of the vesc itself, Iā€™ll bet you that itā€™s getting toasty going up those steep hills, and limiting power to avoid overheating.

The most confusing thing about a BMS to me is (correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but) essentially you are charging all the batteries in series not parrallell?

How is that ok but charging in series otherwise not ok?

As the board is connected to run the skateboard (in series) but then also somehow connected to the BMS to safely parrallell charge?

Charging in series is OK.

Charging in parallel is also OK.

What is absolutely not OK is trying to charge your packs in parallel (E.G. by using one of those balance lead parallel adapters) while they are ALSO connected in series in the board.

When you connect a 2s battery to a hobby charger, that is 2 cells in series, hence 2s. The hobby charger charges them in series, just as if there was a 2s BMS attached.

1 Like

Ah yeah, gotcha! Thanks heaps for the detailed explanations!

What traditional motor mounts work with 3D servisas hangers?

ā€œCompatible with Caliber Style motor mountsā€

How do you check temp of the vesc? Does the VESC app have that feature? I touch the enclosure which has a cutout and itā€™s usually just slightly warm.

The only other thing I can think of is I unplugged the switch that connects to the built-in antispark when I installed the AS150 antispark.

The vesc app should have that feature. Should be called something like ā€œMOSFET tempā€. The standard setting starts to roll off power around 80C.

2 Likes

Did you put on the sensor connectors yourself? Could be the pinout is wrong I got mine working from a TB motor after redoing the connector, everything but motor temp seems to work now can take a pic but might depend on VESC version too but would just double check the pin out. Can use a multimeter in diode checking mode too and should get some similar reading on all the hall sensor wires (believe compared against 5V but may have been GND, the temp sensor shows as a 10k resistor or so and resistance changes with heat)

The Beast Box comes with cutouts as standard. I think we have a panel that has the size of the VESC cutout. I know that I ordered some of them a while ago.

1 Like

I got a Bestech D140 charge only, my charger gets up to 50.4v when plugged in and charging then shuts off automatically, then voltage drops down ~49.5v. Is the charger not allowing it to charge fully to 50.4v? I thought it was one of the 1s6p packs that was 0.06v above all others but I discharged it to 0.01v within the rest, which didnā€™t change anything. As well isnā€™t it better for the batteries to not be completely charged to 4.2 or does that only go for discharge.

Do you plug main battery leads, or the balance lead into a bms first?

I have a 10s5p battery (metroboard) with a discharge BMS rated 50A. should my battery max be set to the same. The Unity defaults at 60 I think.

If you donā€™t care about torque itā€™s fine but 40T is much better. 36T on 110mm will give you a big top-end.

I always set them slightly less because I donā€™t want the BMS cutting out. Personally, Iā€™d set the battery max to 48A or 24A+24A, but thatā€™s just me.

2 Likes

Subtle, Brian.

2 Likes

Which one do you prefer and why? Gonna use one of them on TB110ā€™s and 218mm trucks.

1 Like

I havenā€™t used those pulleys specifically, but in general, I would use insert or press-fit over bolt-on if your axle length will allow for it. What hangers are you using?

2 Likes

The old gen 218mm trucks from TB

3 Likes