Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I would definitely use a press-fit pulley with a bearing.

3 Likes

Would abec pulleys fit into the TB 110s?

2 Likes

No the 110’s are kegel core.

4 Likes

If you

then yes, you can turn ABEC pulleys into kegel pulleys. But under almost any other circumstance, no. And unfortunately, 36T pulleys on 110mm wheels are very much not recommended. You need 40T to 44T. And I would not use the aluminum motor pulley in that kit; steel is much better.

You should try the @3DServisas kegel pulley, they are very, very good.

2 Likes

Question for those familiar with lipos. I have very little to no experience

Recently purchased a spot welder that included a new Turnigy 3S 5.0 65-130C Lipo. The battery was stored at 12.3V for an unknown time.
The specs say it’s 30mm thick. Currently measuring 36.5mm with a palpable bubble

Useable or should I discard? Currently discharging to storage voltage slowly

Thank you!

1 Like

Probably discard. But wait for the experts to chime in. Make sure that its stored somewhere fireproof in the meantime.

1 Like

What you should do: discharge it very slowly and discard it.

What I’d do: store it on concrete and try to use it for welding, but only on concrete, preferably in a well-ventilated area where if that thing goes supernova, it won’t be a big issue.

disclaimer: you should not use a puffed lipo

But hopefully others chime in with advice

3 Likes

Holey shit, that’s a puffed lipo!

I would suggest not storing it indoors and putting it in a lipo safe bag/box. If you dont have one use an ammo container. Place it away from anything flammable.
I would do a salt water discharge outside away from anything that is flammable.
Please be careful, the lipo wants to burn your house down when it gets the chance.

5 Likes

While I’m waiting for my proper remote, I’ve been using a cheap pwm one, but the receiver gave out on me… Will normal hobby receivers be bind compatible with it?

I’m discharging very slowly at the moment. Plugged into 3 40mm fans and a voltmeter to create a small draw

Tested the welder but won’t do that again. Will discard and replace.

Figuring out where to put this in the mean time

Appreciate the feedback. It’s definitely gonna go

2 Likes

Hey everyone, quick helmet question: I found a list of full face shield helmets with superior safety ratings (like the TSG Pass) but none of the helmets are big enough to fit my huge dome (63.5cm; size 8 hat). The only helmets with a full face shield large enough are ones not on the list (like a Ruroc. pro: fits my head and full face shield and lighter than a motorcycle helmet similarly priced; con: doesn’t have the superior rating) or motorcycle helmets (like a Bell. pro: fits my head and has superior safety ratings compared to the Ruroc. con: I’ve heard their field of view is crap and they’re generally heavier). Any suggestions? Thank you!

New olders has big ass head sizes but they take forever to ship, you can get a ruroc Atlas and check out demon podium

1 Like

Thank you @Kellag !

1 Like

What happens when Vesc reaches the battery cut-off would it just stop responding and roll to a stop or stop abruptly?

Depends how you’ve set your cutoffs - There’s two settings: “cutoff start”, which is the voltage at which the vesc starts reducing power, and “cutoff end”, which is the point where the vesc stops supplying power entirely. Depending on how you space those, you can have either a long gradual ramp-down to limp home, or have it ride hard until the last few percent and then die abruptly.

4 Likes

Not really a noob question, but is anyone selling a 40T 15mm Kegel Pulley? EU would be great. If US, it has to be shipped tomorrow probably.
Had around 30$~ in mind.

Pretty sure it’s a soft cutoff, so it starts to reduce current limits until it reaches the hard cutoff…

1 Like

What @MysticalDork and @Jordicious said. Also, once it hits hard cutoff, you will still have brakes as long as the VESC is booted up, but no throttle. So essentially your throttle slowly disappears between “cutoff start” and “cutoff end” but your brakes remain. In fact, using the brakes will charge the battery slightly.

1 Like

What are the usual causes for the board to stop abruptly and throw you off? Other then hitting a rock or something.

Possibly the phase wires shorting out.

Possibly the windings shorting out inside the motor.

Possibly water on the FET gate pins on the ESC.

Possibly being an Evolve brand ESC.

Maybe accidentally pressing the brake command on the remote.

Maybe water inside the remote.

Possibly the PWM signal wire from the remote receiver is broken, but still touching inside the insulation.

There are many, many possible reasons.

1 Like