Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

He will be happy for a short time.

But then heā€™ll want to upgrade the battery to one made with better cells.

And then heā€™ll want to use the esc to be able to use the new battery power.

Then heā€™ll realize it all doesnā€™t fit in his enclosure.

Then heā€™ll buy a deck and the enclosure wont line up right on it.

TL;DR The direct drives and 110s are nice but thatā€™s it.

6 Likes

Will resin eat through hot glue? Im using this stuff: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bondo-32-fl-oz-Brown-Fiberglass-Resin-Repair/3371926

Otherwise heā€™s asking 440$ for the direct drive only

is there any tool I can program my unity on a Mac?

1 Like

I canā€™t say for sure, but I was just perving La Croix site and they have unities, and in their FAQ they stateā€¦

If on iOS, we recommend @twanā€™s app (itā€™s in Beta, so you need to download TestFlight to make it work). If on Android, @ackmaniacā€™s app.

YMMV

1 Like

Is there some sort of high-temperature 5.5 x 2.5mm barrel connector? The generic one I used form amazon got very hot very quick at 12s 6 amps. I did not have this issue with my previous connector. Could be the wire is too thin? it is much smaller than the previous one.

EDIT: it got hot at the tip, the small wire did not feel warm.

1 Like

Yah look at that. Ordering some 16awg ones.

1 Like

@Saturn_Corp Mouser has both 5.5x2.5mm and 5.5x2.1mm plugs rated for 8A.

You might want to stock up on other things while there, or shipping will be several times the cost of the plugs. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Good news everybody! I am all up and running, battery charged and VESC configured. Only problem is it is midnight and there was a big cricket game nearby so there are too many people around to take it out.

The major roadblock I had was my Graupner Ultramat 18 not having a Li-Ion option when it should have. I emailed Graupner and they said it wasnā€™t suitable for Li-Ion, they have yet to reply to my email with pictures of Li-Ion written all over the specs and manualā€¦ I had a big breakthrough when I went to their website to investigate updating the firmware and after chucking some German on the downloads page through google translate I found this:

Software update V2.50: LiHV battery type instead of LiIo. Please charge LiIo batteries with LiPo mode and 4.1V charging voltage setting.

What a ball ache.

Anyhow, after that it was smooth sailing. I confirmed a few charging settings with @Marsen and I spent the day babysitting my charger for 8 hours 10mins. A booster is definitely coming after the next paycheck.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

5 Likes

what colour would you get?

• Red
  • Blue
  • Black

0 voters

1 Like

For cheap BMSs that have a single charge/discharge port, is it best to bypass for discharge and use that port for charge?

Would a completely separate of VESC/ESC, arduino based brake light module be a waste of time? Planning on using a gyroscope on an arduino in my board to automatically detect braking and engage brake lights

You could just add an extra receiver and detect braking commands directly from the radio signal, separate from the ESC.

1 Like

Is there a 5v bus on the a VESC that would run an arduino?

2 Likes

@b264 Good point but I like using arduino :stuck_out_tongue:
@ZachTetra 5V 1A Output for external devices on the unity

The xlite 100 does this already and is waterproof and cheap. Not 100 % accurate but errs in the favor of safety.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/sOfKNSNS

Looks great on a hummie deck but i could model something different if you need it.

1 Like

But itā€™s like $25 for a small tail light

at least it does not cost like a Blinker
this does everything

1 Like

I got mine for $16.

An arduino small board is $5-10.

This still doesnā€™t include light, gyro meter, battery/step converter, or any cabling you will need to wire up your own solution.

Also assuming you donā€™t value your time and donā€™t have to pay separate shipping on everything.

If you want it really smart, the TTL light system from @ricco hooks into your vesc and pulls all sorts of data and is remotely triggerable. Can control a horn, headlights, and cosmetic rgb strips as well.

2 Likes

Just a quick battery newbie question:
Does it matter in which order I disconnect/connect my bms? :slightly_smiling_face: