Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Hey guys

VESC question: how can one increase the initial acceleration?
Iā€™m perfectly fine with my top speed, but starting from stand still is somewhat slow.

Gearing 15/36 on 90mm popocas, 63mm motor
Single focbox, 60A motor, 50A battery
10s3p 30q

Thanks,
Dani

1 Like

increase the motor current limit

or

dual drive

How easily does nickel solder? Gonna edit a pack from Hyperion, moving the BMS and other wires, and replace the series lines with flat nickel to save a few mm

And is it safe to use bullets instead of XT connectors as battery leads? (Is there a way to keep them from separating?)

Iā€™ve soldered nickel quite a lot (Soldering my own packs) and itā€™s a little more stubborn than copper, gold or tin, but not too bad.

You can get away with regular rosin flux (Whatā€™s in the core of your solder might not be enough, probably want to get a bottle/pen) but I prefer to use ā€œRuby Fluidā€ liquid flux - itā€™s available on Amazon or at my local hardware store. Itā€™s an acid-based flux so itā€™s more aggressive than regular old rosin and thus wets out faster with less heat input (critical for directly soldering cells).

I used 6 or 8mm bullets on my battery leads and they were a very snug fit and located in a position that put no stress on them, so I didnā€™t bother with securing them. If you do want to secure them, a good method is to cover both assembled bullets in an extra layer of heatshrink. To make it even more secure, you can use hot glue-lined heatshrink, or add your own hot glue before shrinking - it will melt during the shrinking process. Iā€™ve also seen zip ties used (one around each connector, and then one or more between those two pulling them together).

1 Like

Should I re do remote calibration after I change motor settings and or throttle curves? The board seems to act up if I donā€™t.

You shouldnā€™t have to, but it wonā€™t hurt to do so.

1 Like

Waitā€¦ I might be going stupid but the way I am reading what you are saying is that the amperage on the esc tells how many battery amps it can take but it can take any motor amperageā€¦

not any but the number they market with is the battery max amps. A 50A max ESC can handle 50A battery max.

1 Like

Is there a better way to connect the parallel packs that is flat?

Youā€™ve got to be more specific. Personally I like soldering. You can either use flat copper braid, or round wire, itā€™s flexible and you can redo it if you mess up. With spot welding itā€™s almost a one-and-done thing - the welds really donā€™t come off easily, by design. For me the ideal pack has P-groups spot welded together, and then the series connections are either soldered to a PCB, or soldered to wires/braids.

Currently itā€™s bridged with round wires but Iā€™d like to flatten it, is there anything thinner than 12 awg? Itā€™s a 3p 30Q pack so not that many amps, Iā€™ve got a variety of wires and some 10x.15 nickel

But letā€™s say that the motor is rated for 100A do you need a 100A ESC?

hey do you guys Know if its possible to convert 90 mm hub motors to offroad hub motors or direct drives?

1 Like

Thanks.

I have done a bunch of reading and just canā€™t figure you what the motor values should be.
I am running a unity.
I know my pack (10s4p 30q) is 60A discharge and about -16A for regain.
How do you figure you figure out what the motor values should be? I am running the ugly gold evolve motors if it matters.

Having a little trouble with powering on a new build.

When I plugged in a battery to the fsesc 4.20 dual no lights came on. The motors also have resistance where it feels like 2 phases are touching when plugged into the esc. Not sure they did before I tried to turn on the esc?My soldering on the phase wires looks good and no easily noticeable issues elsewhere.

Gonna try a different batt and go over my connections again. Not sure what else it could be but Iā€™m pretty sure the battery could be the issue since when I tried to charge the led went from red to green repeatedly. Worked fine last time I used it months ago but I thought I left it slightly north of 50%

Probably time to get a multi meter finally.

2 Likes

unplug the phase wires, connect the battery, if it still doesnā€™t power on then the ESC is your problem.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll give it a shot.

Itā€™s not the 4.2+, so no antispark, using a loop key. It doesnā€™t have a physical button or something Iā€™m missing does it?

I have a question. How do you run dual turnigy 6374 on TB 218mm? For me, the motor takes up half the hanger