Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Thanks for the info. I am using a mini remote and I will check to make it is calibrated for the full range. I checked the temperature and it doesn’t get above 50F. Anything else I should check?

if it doesn’t turn out to be the remote i’d look into whether your battery management system is limiting the battery discharge current

although bms doesn’t seem likely because at 491 seconds, it appears your battery current is higher than on the hill at the end

What vesc do you have? And are you monitoring temperature of both the vesc and the motor, or just one?

50F seems a bit low (below room temperature) unless you’re riding in sub-freezing weather.

Should be 50C. It’s a TB vesc.

So that also points to possible thermal throttling - the reference design 4.12 vescs like that one have a low thermal mass so they heat up pretty quickly. You didn’t answer my question regarding motor vs. vesc temperature sensor, so I’m gonna assume you’ve got both and are only looking at the motor. If that’s the case, I’d bet the vesc is overheating.

1 Like

The welded pack doesn’t even fit…a NESE would need a 1" spacer and another enclosure for the ESC :joy:

Yeah, reference design 4.12 VESCs definitely get to thermal throttling in a hurry.

@Tbone To test this, stop at the bottom of the hill for about 12 minutes. Then go up it.

Next time, stop in that same spot but for only 1 second. Then go up it.

If the performance is different in the two scenarios, then something is probably thermal throttling, probably the VESC 4.12

2 Likes

I am using the esc monitor app and the data file column is named “temppcb”, so I assume it is the vesc temp.

1 Like

How long can phase of battery wires be before it causes issues? I’d imagine it’s just inductance that causes the issue right?

2 Likes

Inductance is the main thing. Obviously at some point resistive drop also comes into play, but that’s easier to mitigate.

3 Likes

Can you talk about the length required to have ‘resistive drop’? I’m running the stock boosted wires, but if shortening them by a few inches on each side helps… I’ll do it in a heartbeat :joy::joy:

the phase wires coming out of the motor are likely going to be quite a bit thicker than the gauge of wire used internally in the motor, so it likely has pretty low resistance per inch, so each inch of wire removed likely won’t have much effect on the overall resistance.

1 Like

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant the braided wire that goes from the battery to the ESC :sweat_smile:

How much will it affect the inductance?

You should be fine with a long run that isn’t longer than a meter or two. You may want to use a slightly bigger size if possible, but it’s not necessary.

1 Like

I probably won’t go larger, unfortunately I’m stumped as to where I can source them from :thinking:

I find flat braid but from what I can make out, the boosted braid transitions to regular 12awg wires… Can’t find it 🤷

1 Like

changing the length of the battery cables shouldn’t change the inductance of the motor.

according to the following article, the issue with excess inductance in the battery cables is prematurely wearing out the capacitors in the vesc.

and while inductance can be proportional to the length of a wire, it’s also proportional to the magnetic field produced by the wire which means its also affected by the geometry of the wire (is it coiled or not for example). according to the article, if you tape the two battery lines together, their magnetic field cancels out and eliminates most of the inductance without changing the length.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=1018

“ Tape Battery Cables Together to Reduce Inductance

If battery cables are separated by a distance, they have much more inductance than if they are close together. If the two battery cables were coaxial there would be virtually no induced current flow since the magnitude fields would cancel one another. However, we don’t have coaxial battery cables, but we can approximate them by taping the cables together every four to six inches. When the cables are taped together the magnetic fields around each battery cable tend to cancel each other. When cables are separated the magnetic fields add together and increase the inductance of the battery cables.”

“ In addition to the problems mentioned, the induced current opposes the applied current (battery current) which directly causes a loss of inverter performance as greatly reduced efficiency.

Hopefully this technote gives a much more realistic and clear idea of why battery cables should be kept short and close together. Maximum performance is the goal of any well designed power system and the detail items such as this will help achieve the goal.”

2 Likes

I wouldn’t use tape for that. Heatshrink works much better.

2 Likes

So just bind battery cables? Should we wrap phase cables or separate them? And what about long battery cables?