Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

You say this, but you still haven’t fulfilled the dress order for my Barbies.

3 Likes

If you do that, then only the DRV. The CPU/MCU definitely for sure needs no heatsink.

If you’re not drawing on the +5V line any more than a radio receiver you probably don’t even need to cool the DRV.

1 Like

Since neither have an exposed pad on top you’ll be fine using the same heat sink. You only have to worry about that sort of thing when the components you’re trying to heatsink have thermal pads that are also electrical pads, such as the power mosfets.

Plus, thermal pads don’t conduct electricity unless you buy some whip-shit graphite-filled unicorn-poop ones.

The MCU dissipates essentially zero heat. Not worth that.

The DRV has a big thermal copper pour soldered to the pad on the bottom - that’s much more effective than a thermal pad on top of the plastic case.

The biggest generators of heat in a vesc are the FETs, the current shunts, the DRV, and maybe the voltage regulator(s) if you’re drawing power for external electronics.

TLDR, you won’t break anything but it won’t net you any performance gains.

3 Likes

Bill I told you we don’t stock cotton candy pink I can’t complete your order :weary:

1 Like

Thank you very much! Maybe I’ll undertake the task :thinking::thinking:

Depends on how bored I am that day, I guess

Could you expand on this? Curious what you mean.

May I humbly suggest you tinker with something maybe a little more visible and less mission-critical, if you’re just tinkering for tinkering’s sake? Like your deck? Wheels? Lights? Trucks? Remote? Motors?

3 Likes

The DRV has a DC-DC converter built in that feeds the 5v rail. So if you draw extra power for other stuff, it’ll get hotter.

5 Likes

has anyone found something similar to this? i can’t find it anywhere else than on EBS website

1 Like

They’re fantastic for waterproofing but generally a little bulky. I’ve got a handful on my ebike.

And you can get them from a lot of places in a lot of different flavors - Nylon, zinc, stainless steel, extra features, etc.

2 Likes

Things are so close to fitting together for the build there’s really almost nothing else to do 🤷

I just have to conformal coat my Focboxes, but I’m waiting for my esc enclosure to cutout the heatsink before I do that. I’m so close to riding again x_x

lucky.
i am months away…

1 Like

Then why not concentrate on things that are going to get you up and riding, instead of fucking with that which doesn’t need to be fucked with? (I am speaking from experience here. My bike is a huge pile of delays for this very reason right now.)

2 Likes

Well, same… When the snow comes down in upstate NY its nuts.

1 Like

I actually didn’t realize this was where the 5v rail was coming from on these. TIL!

I’ve never seen mine getting particularly warm in comparison to my fets though personally, checked on FLiR.

3 Likes

It’s usually fine, unless you load it down with fairly hefty external power draws like a string of ws2812 LEDs, for example. IIRC the rail is good for 5V 1A. (and the internal vesc draw is pretty minimal - just the MCU via a 3.3v regulator, and a couple other small chips.)

1 Like

Yeah I guess from a design standpoint using that as a user-accessible power rail is convenient but not necessarily the safest design.

2 Likes

Yup. The DRV is a really neat chip - an all-in-one gate driver, DC-DC converter, and current shunt amplifier.

Too bad they like to go POOF so readily though.

1 Like

I agree. I believe the manufacturer rates that at 1.8A max minus whatever the MCU and radio receiver are using. But I’d feel much safer not loading that up with bling… I use external buck converters for that stuff.

4 Likes

Search for PG cable glands. Normally PG21 would indicate maximum cable diameter of 21mm could be passed.