Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

No kidding ordering that tomorrow!

What is a good source for nickel strips? What do you use to glue a P group together (hotglue, JB-weld, sikaflex)? What’s a good source for fishpaper? (I generally prefer supporting small shops if they have good shipping policies)

The best place I have found to buy fishpaper in the US is 145ptags.com.

Yes, I know the site looks straight from 2002.

2 Likes

I guess this one should do? https://www.145ptags.com/product-page/cga100325ft-adhesivebacked-fish-paper-rolls-3-x25
I won’t need 25 feet though. Might anyone have a couple spare feet lying around or wants to split this?

Thanks! The early 2000s webpages are the best. Reminds me of when you could edit the HTML and define your own price, like a negative value. Lol

1 Like

Check out the battery builders thread. Also search for ‘sourcing nickel strip’ there is a whole thread with reputable suppliers. Doesnt mean you shouldnt test your nickel once you get it though

2 Likes

I use the 5" wide stuff, but whatever you need…

How do you use 5"? Seems like it’s too much for a single 18650, too little for two or for wrapping it around an end to the other side. Hmm

3 Likes

Those are some massive scissors!
I guess I would want the battery corners also to be covered, but if best practice is just the side, then 2.5" will do for me too. :slight_smile:

I use the roll the other way than you’re thinking. I cut like 70mm off the roll and wrap that piece so the 5" is the length of it.

Oh, I see, I guess that’s ideal for smaller p-groups. Thanks for sharing!

My always on 3Dservisas antispark has pulled my battery down to 2.85v per cell due to my inattentive board care this week… is that too low to charge safely? :grimacing:

How many P-packs is it? What cells?

You should still be okay on a slow charger.

1 Like

30q 12s 4p… left my board at 55%, life got in the way of riding and now here we are.

At 4P I think a 2A charger should be no problem.

I’d do some research before putting it on a 4A charger, it might still be fine. 2.85V/cell is still high enough you’re probably fiiiiine

1 Like

I feel your pain I currently have 6 motor like that and another 6 made by the same factory that I haven’t touched yet. To me it is so wired that we go through so much trouble into using keyways for the motor pulley. and that we came to the conclusion that setscrews are just not enough for for motor pulleys. But for some reason we think it’s fine to use grubscrews between the motorcan and the shaft…
(to be fair some motors seems to hold up better than others)

2 Likes

How do I run the VESC-Tool? I went through the $0 paywall and downloaded the linux version. I unzipped the package, and inside is a file vesc_tool_1.25

What do I do with it? I tried running it as an executable and it did not launch (./filename). Am I doing something wrong? I don’t have access to Windows or MacOS devices at home

1 Like

Are you using usb to program your ESC?

What distro are you using? Works fine for me on Solus.