Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

@mmaner
The guide states to keep motors higher than battery.
Have I been giving bad advice? :sob:

1 Like

Might want to edit so he won’t get confused

E: fixed, ignore the negative sign on my post :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No. There’s a floor on the battery setting.

3 Likes

no, but to start this is what I usually do because you get a better feel for what the board cna do with the rider weight and build components. motor and battery the same is fine, its more efficient (as I understand it) to have the motor higher.

3 Likes

Okay sweet. Thanks for the input.

@ADrum707 there you have it. Starting values (to change to your taste afterwards)

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I had to step away for a moment but this is super helpful. And if I want to strengthen my brakes:

<— -12 (next value would be -13?)

and if I want to weaken them:

-12 —> (next value would be -11?) right?

1 Like

Ohhhhh the regen is the battery minimum everyone’s been talking about! :smiley:

That is correct

yep :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve found conflicting values and nothing concrete so I’ll just ask here. What’s the ampacity of 3.5mm bullet connectors?

@xsynatic You can open it up and epoxy it.

1 Like

Up to 40A assuming you’re using legit gold plated ones.

Obviously wire gauge matters as well!

1 Like

this is a comparison of the expected thrust in a particular setup between 60a motor / 25a battery vs 60a motor / 60a battery:

^the thrust drops precipitously from 25mph to 30mph because 95% duty cycle has been reached, and it drops to 0 somewhere between 30 and 35mph because the back emf voltage produced by the motor exceeds the battery voltage above this speed.

6 Likes

This might be the coolest graph you’ve ever posted.

1 Like

@aliceshi010

‘Race board’

‘Fun board’

3 Likes

I wish I understood this :sob:

Gotta love the Play 5 Gen 2! Sick build! Looks like one I saw cruising down my street a few days ago in Virginia!

^the thrust is proportional to the motor current, and with only 25a battery limit, 60a motor current cannot be sustained above a certain speed.

I am starting to work on a second build and am hoping to get some help on the fundamentals. I currently have a single belt drive setup with TB 6374 motor and 10s3p 30q battery. Gearing is 36:16. I ride mostly flat except there is one hill to get to my house that is 400ft long and 40ft elevation gain (10%). My boards stops about 20ft into the climb and coming down it will brake if I go really slow, but it is a bit nerve wracking. So, I am thinking of going to a dual setup and 10s4p battery. I am 165 lbs and top speed 25-30mph is all I need with a range of >12miles. Will this upgrade to get up and down 10% grade hills?

Yes. You won’t be accelerating up it, but it will do the job.

10s5p 155 lb rider with mild to moderately hilly terrain

Do you have the sensors hooked up?

What are your settings? (Battery Max, Battery Min)

Like @MysticalDork said, it’s probably not the motor cutting out. First suspicion would be BMS. Tell us more about your battery and BMS.