Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

eSUcPvE

1 Like

Stupid idea?

1 Like

Probably best case is thermal paste between aluminum heatsink and the mosfets but just depends on if the MOSFETs are getting hot enough to need it.

yea, i put some thermal paste on them. Well i average about 50-60°c (120-140°F) but can reach 70°c (158°F) quite easily. (Haven’t pushed it harder to go 70+ but i could with my fat ass)

1 Like

Think I found the culprit, which are my snippets, since I cut the routing for the pcb, do you think I could just solder

the wires directly to the tabs?

It looks like your motor pulley is possible rubbing against your motor mount/mount screw. Have you tried to move the motor pulley like 1mm further away from your mount?

I’ve always wondered. What is visits referring to?

1 Like

I’d say not stupid, just not very effective. Looks like you have cut away the heatshrink, which is a good step, but your next (and permanent) barrier is the plastic case of the fets themselves. Those are in a package designed to be heatsinked from the PCB side, not from the top, so the only thermal pad is the big copper tab on the back. It’s why 4.x based ESCs suck so bad thermally compared to 6.x based ones (Yes yes I know there are exceptions, I’m referring to the reference designs or similar. Pedantic fucks :roll_eyes:) - The 6.x ones use directFETs, which are in a mostly metal package with a nice big exposed thermal pad on top.

It might drop your temps by a degree or two, but it ain’t gonna be a night and day difference.

3 Likes

It just looks like it. It has a few mm space from the motor mount. Everything ks spinning freely without rubbing.

Ah good to known. I’ll check the next few rides if i can catch a difference. I’m to stingy to pay 40 bucks per vesc for a case.

I had the same problem. that horrible squeaking… I ended up getting rid of the housing and went with straight 8mm bearings with speed rings. I love idlers now. one of the many lessons learned.

2 Likes

I think @SeanHacker ended up doing this with some success as well. It’s the only idler setup I’ve found that works. It’s still additional drag though, with the benefit of more teeth in mesh.

After seeing how LaCroix designed the HyperTrucks I’m not sure there’s a better way to do an adjustable belt mount. It’s brilliant and rock solid, like press fit tolerances.

1 Like

could the issue possibly be because of the profile of the pulley/drive gear doesn’t match the belt profile?

are these the best elbow pads? they have that d3o impact gel stuff, if not anything better?

these seem pretty cool too not sure if they would help much for impact though

1 Like

and d00d… your profile pik creeps me the fuck out!!!

4 Likes

LaCroix HyperTrucks mounts in reference:

6 Likes

I’d say you lack diversity!!!

:joy::laughing::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::eyes::crazy_face:

@DerelictRobot I hated that setup. One of my first mounts. Too much work to adjust belt tension. Might have more clearance on a MTB though.

1 Like

You gotta stop skipping curls day buddy.

Also, the machining tolerances here are top notch.

4 Likes