Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I prefer the solution that i cant seem to find. I changed belts, swapped the wheels + the corresponding pulleys. It only whines while accelerating. Belt tension seems fine. Some might say even a bit lose.

Video possible? BTW, you should hear the Exway Riot sometime. High-pitched shriek accompanied by the odd whistle sound.

2 Likes

Like a HDT3m shriek? Or how would you compare one to the other :thinking:

HTD3m is the boosted pulley tooth size. Basically I want to know if its more loud or quiet than a boosted board

My phone sucks audio wise. The belt whine stands out more compared to the video. (My video)

@Sn4Pz

1 Like

Did you try putting speed rings in the idlers?

1 Like

i have not, no. That would do what?

Thats a “better” Look at my idler, belt etc.

1 Like

Could just be the angle of the photo but is the pulley parallel to the wheel?

1 Like

Everything is as lined up as i can get it.

Not sure if the help

3 Likes

According to this forum (post No.5) Most paint can sustain up to 300° ( i assume Fahrenheit so 150° Celsius).
I want to ‘‘update’’ my heat sink. How hot does a heatsink get? This is for an evolve board btw so small motors, i will have thermal past on the bottom of the esc with thermal pad. I will paint only on the underneath of the heat sink. Do you see any problem with painting it?

As long as you only paint the outside, it should be fine. Just get some high-temp paint if you want to be sure.

e: it will obviously impede the ability of the heatsink, though

3 Likes

What mounts/idlers are you using?

I’m using the kit from @IDEA

2 Likes

Personally I’ve not had great luck with idlers. They always squeaked to an almost unbearable degree. I was using Janux universal mounts from last year though, ended up pulling them off and just finding one optimal belt length for my particular setup.

The sound in your video sounds very similar though

4 Likes

What i haven’t tried is swapping the idllers left to right to see if the whine now comes from the left. IF the idlers cause it instead of the belt.

1 Like

I was thinking maybe a single speed ring mount side might help. Or negligible?

1 Like

I used some crush washers to remove any friction from the side of the idler to some success.

1 Like

Oh my God get out of my head.

Crush washer = speed ring

2 Likes

I really, really want out. There’s a six-limbed Ibex in here wearing fishnets.

1 Like

Like @DerelictRobot I have also not had great luck with idlers. Just my experiences.

In terms of sound or effectiveness/necessity?