Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

woops. Posted it on the wrong thread.

I want to add small heatsink to my Master vesc because it can get quite toasty (70° Celsius/ 158° F).

Should i use some thermal paste/pads? How would you secure it? Shrinktube over it? Zip tie?

1 Like

Thermal paste ideally if you have smooth flat surface to apply it to in the vesc.

I would stick it on the fets directly. Just don’t know how to secure it.

1 Like

Thx man! Not sure exactly how to go about any increase in the perimeter but youtube is my friend. Cheers

Yes sir!

Thermal pads are what I would use then

What slicer do you use?

I haven’t done it, but I “would” use a cable tie but being concerned it might melt, maybe try some thermally conductive epoxy. I don’t know though.

1 Like

@b264

2 Likes

I would use 121C nylon cable ties then. Really small ones. And thermal paste or thermal epoxy.

2 Likes

I bought some thermal pads on amazon, I used the to stick my glass bed to the 3D printer, they would def gold these on there

1 Like

@b264 I just found out these could possibly be from slick revolution? But why 39t rather than 40?

1 Like

Re attached a shorted dual VESC, now one side works properly but the otherside is radio silent with the LED completely off and ARM processor heats up rapidly. Anyone know if this is fixable? Replace ARM/caps/FETs?

Maybe for someone who wants a little more speed and less torque than 40T LoLz

I would prefer that more places had different size pulleys. Like instead of everywhere having 40T or 44T how about some 41T and 43T and 39T

Because it’s easier to dial in your stuff to be the way you like it.

I’d rather change a pulley ratio then change my beloved wheels or change motor Kv.

5 Likes

Sure there are others here who can do the work but @JohnnyMeduse is the go to for drv repairs would see if he thinks it’s feasible to repair and available to do it or can point you somewhere maybe DM or make a thread with pics and explanation of how you got to where you are.

2 Likes

If you fill out the country in your profile, people can give better suggestions.

1 Like

@xsynatic The 12s has 20% more energy in it. (10s times 3.7v times 12Ah = 444Wh, compared to 12s times 3.7v times 12Ah = 532.8Wh.)

1 Like

So my 1st build is complete. Pictures and build thread pending for tomorrow. Now my question is this, i accidentally bought the wrong charger, it is a 54.6v charger for 13s packs, and mine is a 12s4p. Can I use this until my replacement comes in a few days? I realize that it will over charge my battery left unattended, but can I use it if I check the voltage of my battery every 10 minutes and stop around a conservative 48v?

I would not use that under any circumstances, no

Maybe if it’s outdoors on solid concrete and you can afford to take a $500 loss

1 Like

Depending on the exact charger, you may be able to take it apart and adjust it’s output voltage - the metal brick chargers have trim potentiometers inside to adjust voltage and current - they’re all the same board between a lot of different models and outputs, just with different settings.

If yours isn’t that type, you could at least give your board a partial charge that way but I wouldn’t go any higher than ~80% or so just in case.

As a final solution you could string together a bunch of (appropriately rated current-wise) diodes (or one single 4.2v zener of appropriate power) to drop 1 cell’s worth of voltage (4.2v).

3 Likes