Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

@Saturn_Corp The aerodrive has a totally featureless shaft. That little flat spot you see is on the back side for the setscrew that retain the can to grip. The groove on the other end is for the snap ring.

To use a pulley with that motor, you either need to A:) grind or mill a flat or B:) mill a keyway for a key or C:) use a high strength retaining compound.

1 Like

You hear any noises from the computer like something was connected? If drivers aren’t installed you’ll see it as an unknown device if you get no device connect sounds then or unknown device in device manager then installing drivers won’t help… I’m as perplexed as you are at this point though. Various VESCs and various cables and various computers I don’t see how we haven’t eliminated the issue yet… Some versions of the VESC may require battery power I’ve personally only used the 4.x based ones, maybe someone else here can clarify that. Also I’ve had issues where some devices don’t work on certain USB ports so always good to try a few different ones if you see no indication the device was detected. Only way I know to probe further on this is using Linux (lsusb command or using dmesg to see kernel messages about devices being plugged in and any details about what was detected or failed). Hopefully someone else chimes in here with a better reason this might happen.

My board’s wheel suddenly seize up today at low speed and threw me off the board, I noticed that one of the phase wires had come loose upon checking…

May I know if the wheel seize due to the loose phase wire or maybe something else?

I am running Flipsky 6354 on VESC 4.20

for science:
I connected my motors up to a cheep ChinesEsk8 ESC, sensorless, the board starts up flawlessly from a dead stop, no angry noises, no cogging, nada, it has push-start, auto off…, decent brakes

Riddle me this:
Why can’t this simplicity of operation be incorporated into VESC?
Is it ChinesEsk8 firmware that allows this? Or must some additional hardware be added?

Connect and go! Wouldn’t this be awesome to have stock? and if a user wants FOC or BLDC they just hook-up the VESC tool and fuck it all up to the individual users desire.

2 Likes

My charging port stopped working! I’ve tried 3 different 10s chargers and all of them show that they aren’t charging. I opened up my enclosure and nothing looks wrong, could it be my bms? I can’t figure it out!

Break out the multimeter and start probing. What places DO have voltage from the charger? Which places DON’T? Where is the current flowing? Where is it not?

1 Like

Loose phase wires could cause this if the coils aren’t having current flow through them in the right sequence or timing a motor will just jitter or could get pulled backwards effectively braking.

Battery measures 39.5v

Some conversation in a thread about new development of an ESC using instaspin from TI, apparently there are issues with those chips though hence why we use the DRV chip for mosfet driving/control. I imagine the back emf produced by a motor varies and if you are too far from what the ESC is setup to use it may be an issue or perhaps these just don’t measure the back emf to determine position of the rotor, without sensors I believe this means they’ll be more likely to cog or get desynchronization but just some guesses.

1 Like

Thanks!

I don’t know about any of that, unfortunately I’m not very ultra-tech Esk8 savvy (YET)

All I have to say is the simplicity of plug and play, it was seriously a super fun, giggling like a skool-girl experience… I know it’s not for everyone… I know most on here want bleeding edge performance and niggling and nashing about having every I dotted and T crossed, I’m just saying if the VESC was capable, right out of the box with only the equivalent of cheep ChinesEsk8 ESCs it would be awesome…

1 Like

@Dirt_Bag, I got the battery from you, what’s up

Pm me and i will help you out. It sounds like possibly a bad charger, i had the same issue a year ago and it drove me nutty trying to figure it out. If its a bad part i will replace it. Im doubtful its the bms as its just a discontinued bestech bms. Nothing fancy, but it is a smart balancer

Plug one of these into the charge port and let us know what happens

For sure better defaults and easier setup are always welcome so long as it doesn’t mean no advanced mode with more options when you need or want them. The vesc tool does have some wizards that have worked well for me but it still doesn’t completely hold your hand on everything… Documentation is out there but not all organized.

1 Like

So I’m going to upgrade to dual drive. Now should I either get 2x 6354 and put them both inward on the truck? Or should I get 2x 6374 and put 1 inward and 1 outwards?

That depends on the rest of your board and the performance you want to get out of it.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help. No noises or any recognition from either computer that a device was connected as far as I can tell. Really weird because the unity is new and the two focbox’s were set up on a Mac and I never connected them again for like 100 miles and now they won’t work. I’m not familiar with Linux so hopefully someone else can think of another solution because I’ve seemed to hit a wall.

1 Like

@Kylem21 not sure if this is current for unity but have you tried having the unity powered on before plugging to your PC? My esc didn’t connect until I powered it.

2 Likes

Yah Linux solution is definitely a last ditch effort, not too hard to download Ubuntu and put it on a USB drive and boot into it, from the Live/Preview mode of the OS running from the USB you could run the commands pretty easily but still some crap to go through when it shouldn’t be needed. Should try like @Flasher said and power up the board first (upside down) and then plug in the USB after the VESC has booted completely. If that doesn’t work st-link is an option and works from windows with an app to load firmware and flash the stm32 directly (st Link is USB on computer side but bypasses the ESC USB port and chip)

2 Likes

Just tried it and still no luck

1 Like