Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Theoretical question for future. I have a 12s6p with a few hundred cycles of charge/discharge. I have a second 12s6p with no cycles done yet. How could I connect them together to allow me to use them both on one single board without having to interchange them during a ride? Simply connect the second one to the first? If so, how?

You can do it but the old cells will wear out much faster than normal, not very recommended

@ZachTetra Iā€™m thinking ahead for next year. I want to add an underside enclosure to my trampa with another 12sXp (as many as I can fit in it) and overkill any range limits ever known to mankind

Edit: @eBoosted what is the max 12s pack with bms I could fit in a ds 35 enclosure? No esc, just batteries and bms

I mean you can do it, but youā€™ll loose capacity on the old cells. If you want to do it I would say take the pack apart and make each p-pack have the same balance of internal resistances (each p-pack should behave identically)

Canā€™t do that. This pack is pcb welded

Alternatively you can use the new pack to charge the old pack, or just swap them with a breaker half way through riding

Yeah youā€™d need to salvage them or weld the new and old p-packs together

Wouldnt, in my idea of configuration, the old and new 12s6p packs balance themselves out while draining?

I have a set of psychotillers heXl tkp trucks and motor mounts on the way. Will trampa 6.5 inch superstars work on them with the 8mm spacer bearings?

Hi guys! Iā€™m very close to finished on my new board. I was programming my Flipsky Dual FSESC 4.20, perfectly fine. I set up FOC mode nicely and was testing the directions of each motor in the VESC tool, when all of a sudden, the first VESC (master) shuts off. I powercycled and checked my connections and I cannot get it back on. The error on the VESC tool says something along the lines of having matching firmware, when both were the sameā€¦
Can anyone help? I hope I didnt fry my VESC at all.

Frick me, I was out riding today and this problem keeps happening, are my motor limits too high for my 12s2p? Iā€™ll be accelerating and it pushes back almost throwing me off like a second cutoff, should I lower the motor amps or battery max? @kalebludlow @b264 help me!!!

Itā€™s not that simple. You need some sort of current limiting circuit.

What are all your settings? Try lowering battery max

Iā€™ll do that Tommarow morning, it probably has to do with battery max

Also give us all your settings too :wink:

2 Likes

Since I determined the shaft was not the issue and was the can, I just randomly thought of doing this to see what the can was doing and it looks like it is wobbling? Doesnā€™t look normal to me. The shaft is on there tight and is not moving whatsoever. So this is all the canā€™s doing. I feel a tiny centripetal force when spinning it. Is the can just fucked?

2 Likes

If the shaft is straight, then the can is fucked.*

*depends on the skills and tools you have available to you. A machine shop could fix that, but itā€™d likely be cheaper to just get a new can.

Basically either the back plate of the can is deformed, or the hole the shaft mates into is deformed, or the actual flux ring/magnet assembly is deformed. Iā€™d guess one of the first two.

3 Likes

Iā€™m planning on mounting the 2 x vesc 6 in my eboosted Urban Carver enclosure. What are the best options for keeping them cool? I was thinking of creating a few slits in the enclosure just beneath the heatsinks.

Any advice?

Well the shaft was ruled out, so it is that. Weird to me considering I only ever rode the board a total of like 500 ft, was can was fine when I stopped. Didnā€™t touch the board but come back to a fucked can. Must have been dark magic. Thanks wasnā€™t sure if it was fucked for sure.

1 Like

Thereā€™s always the chance that itā€™s something else I havenā€™t thought of and Iā€™m an idiot, but these motors are pretty simple mechanically - not much to hide.

Unfortunately with the way these motors are designed, theyā€™re fairly susceptible to that exact kind of damage due to the cantilevered can with no support on the other end. A really hard drop or impact might be enough to do it.

4 Likes