Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

It is the motor, I took everything apart, it has some resistance at a specific part of the motor, I am thinking it is happening here specifically since this is the most scratched up spot.

3 Likes

Yeah I was gonna say it sounds like the stator bumping into a magnet, since the sound changes with speed.

Are any of the magnets broken or skewed?

Maybe rotor shaft is slightly bent causing the scraping?

1 Like

No it does not look like it, I posted pics of inside the can but it may be hard to see, to me all the magnets look intact. It would make noise depending on speed, but also it wouldnā€™t make the irregular noise when I was half way on the throttle.

Red line is where the scratches are both on stator and magnet, if the can was on the stator the lines would be in the same spot. But the stator with the Q is scratched all the way up and down, which is weird.

Looks straight to me I just lined it up next to a long hex key, but this I see a very tiny curve, but very tiny, it is very hard to see my camera can not capture it.

Very weird. Maybe that piece of the stator was longer. @torqueboards have you seen this problem before?

If you have blue dykem or a fat sharpie, cover the magnets and stator, then run it againā€¦youā€™ll know exactly where a high spot is

6 Likes

Two use cases:

For non-bypassed (BMS can shut off power to everything else), you want the negative wire to go to both the balance port and the B- pad, obviously with large gauge wire to the pad to handle the full battery current.

For bypassed use (BMS handles charging and balancing, but not discharge), you want the negative wire to go the of the balance port and also straight to the XT60.

Regarding your motor shaft, a bend of a few thousandths of an inch is all it would take for the bell to scrape - itā€™s a long lever supported on only one end - the end farthest away from the magnet scratches.

Iā€™d hold it up against a known good straight/flat item - a granite countertop or a steel ruler, etc. Any light visible between the shaft and the reference indicates a bent shaft.

4 Likes

Think replacement shaft is around $10 probably worth a try since you already have the motor apart so long as you donā€™t mind waiting on shipping to reassemble or can get it back apart pretty easily.

1 Like

Not too sure what the sound is coming from. If you can isolate it let me know.

I should have some spare motor shafts. Email us and I can get one out to you.

Went back and read everything. Motor shaft might be a good option to start off at.

3 Likes

Should I try narrowing down the area of error by switching the can, shaft, and bell from the other motor interchangeably to see which part exactly is the cause?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fairly easy check to do, Iā€™d say go for it.

1 Like

Does anybody know any hubs that work with 8mm axles? Iā€™d like to get these tires on TB216ā€™s:

Or do you think thatā€™s a bad idea? Or should I just try the hubs that the aliexpress wheels come with?

Iā€™m super new to anything AT related =/

Oh yeah it was the can but cant tell what exactly is wrong with it

1 Like

$10 says bent shaft. It only has to be off by a few thou to rub.

1 Like

I just switched the shaft to the other shaft (working smoothly on other motor) and it did not fix the problem, then I tried it on the other bell and it did not fix the problem, leaving the magnets/can to be the problem*

3 Likes

Waaaaait a minute. Bell and can are one and the same. So youā€™ve tried old shaft with old can, on the other motor and the problem didnā€™t follow?

I am double checking

Tried both shafts: No change, still scratching - shafts ruled out

Just tried new can, old stator, old shaft - works fine

Did you try both cans too? cold can/old shaft/new motor? new can/new shaft/old motor?

This is very strange. I guess it might be bearingsā€¦

or maybe the circlip is rubbing on the motor mount?

Old can, new stator, new shaft - scratching

New can, old stator, old shaft - problem solved

So definitely the can, but I am going to check everything again so I am for sure. Donā€™t think the c-clip or bearings have anything to do with it. The can is moving around is the issue I think, I am going to put it back in its original spot and see if the can is still loose

3 Likes