Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

From psychotiller brand new, like drones battery. Iā€™m not trying to create a bad image but maybe he got a bad batch of cells or somethingā€¦ Battery has less than 40 miles

2 Likes

could also be a charger problem?

1 Like

Itā€™s reading 49.9

1 Like

seems its all good.

Hmmm that seems a little low for a 12s pack IMO.

I had to turn my charger from 50.4V to 50.6 to get a full charge on my 12s packs.

Do chargers have voltage sag? Idk but Iā€™d say itā€™s worth turning it up to at least 50.4 volts, most chargers have a little potentiometer inside to adjust the voltage.

Who else besides BigBen and eBoosted make fiberglass enclosures? Planning a future build with a Sector 9 Fault Line and the guts of a BuildKitBoards dual kit. 400x180x25 internals ideally

Edit: if anyone else knows a better deck thsn the Fault Line lemme know (38"-40" long, 9.5"+ wide, micro drop, top mount, sexy as fuck, under $100 shipped)

The Flybar - Glitch with a skinning job checks all those boxes except micro drop

Without a skinning job, itā€™s unusable. (and doesnā€™t check the sexy as fuck box either)

Itā€™s the widest deck Iā€™ve found.

3 Likes

Tempting but I was gonna make this look as sleek as possibleā€¦might get it senderized, enclosure and all, with dark oak/brushed aluminum/carbon fiber textureā€¦ something I can bring to a business interview or design presentation without looking like a punk ass dweeb

Iā€™d like the Switchblade 40" but the enclosures donā€™t leave room to forward mount without risers

1 Like

Thatā€™s a @Sender Skates deck as well. Not the enclosure thoughā€¦ big mistakeā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m trying to make a half price Hoyt St because it calls to me while my wallet cries basically

I had a Switchblade 40 and it felt way too short for me. It has a huge drop which makes it feel really short. And thatā€™s the longest Switchblade Landyachtz makes.

1 Like

I mean Iā€™m also 170cm/54kgā€¦Iā€™m using a Battle Axe 35" and itā€™s not awful in terms of length

But like who else makes enclosures?

Specific heat capacity is measured in Joule-Gram-Kelvins, which indicates how many joules it takes to raise a gram of that material by 1 Kelvin or 1 degree Celsius. While this is useful, for heat sinks, the volumetric heat capacity is more important as you want the smallest volume possible for a given amount of energy to be absorbed. A steel or copper would both be about 30% smaller than a given aluminum heatsink, and would be able to absorb the same amount of energy and increase the same amount of temperature. A larger heatsink would however have more surface area, so itā€™s not really 30% more effective. Another factor to look at is thermal conductivity, where copper is almost twice as conductive as aluminum. Copper would clearly be the best heatsink material.

1 Like

@VECTOR The weight was more important to me, as I have plenty of air volume inside the enclosure ā€“ but the mass is very high and itā€™s hard to carry.

I wasnā€™t looking for a ā€œheatsinkā€ or an increase in ā€œcontinuousā€ rating but more a ā€œthermal massā€ to increase the ā€œpeakā€ rating but not the continuous rating.

@b264 If you need something with an extremely high specific heat capacity, you should make a container of your desired shape (maybe out of aluminum) and fill it with water.

1 Like

Hmmm maybe just fill the enclosure with water? Thatā€™s a good idea, if heavy

Youā€™ll only need about half the water to get the same performance as a given block of aluminum, and itā€™s lighter to boot.

1 Like

Gravimetrically water is >4x better than aluminum, volumetrically itā€™s ~2x better.

2 Likes

that means ā€œby weightā€. One pound (or kilogram, stone, etc) of water can store >4X more heat per degree than the same mass of aluminum.

1 Like