Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

First off, i prefer buying the metr module and supporting the community. But, is it possible to use a regular blutooth module with the metr app?

Also, i heard it can be connected to a smart watch as well. Is that true?

Im completely new to the world of bluetooth and vescs.

@Dirt_Bag Only way of using metr app is with a metr bluetooth module. He encrypted the system to allow only his own modules

1 Like

Thanks! I guess i will be getting one soon. If you see any being sold here, tag me please. I dont mind a second hand module

Two questions:

1. How do I measure the radius of the curve (convexity of the underside of my board). I have tried to google it, but I am no good at math and I wanted to know if anyone had links to a video tutorial or a really well (simply) explained written one.

2. I have two 10s4p chargers from the IKEA FOLKVÄNLIG ebike I think they are a 1.6 amps or 2 (don’t have them in front of me right now) but either way can I connect them in parallel to charge my 10s4p (samsung 30q) pack quicker?

2b. Are these chargers not just “regular” converters or is there something more going on that wouldn’t allow two of them to be used in parallel?

I can answer your first question:

1 Like

Looking for recommendations on a good quality 10S charger 3-4A with 5.5x2.1 barrel that charges to 42 volts. My old 4A evolve works fine but only charges to 41.6 and pisses me off.

That’s funny, I like my evolve charger for that reason. Prolongs that battery life!

No adventure time gifs saved for this one :wink:

3 Likes

I guess, The only use I see it has is the ability to have brakes on a full charge going downhill. I would think charging using a lower amp charger would be more beneficial no?

As long as you’re not stressing the cells by charging at too high of an amperage, I wouldn’t worry.

I had an issue with my first battery pack / charger combo. I was told that I couldn’t let the board sit on the charger overnight after I found melted shrink wrap around my battery’s bms balance wires. They pointed me to the evolve charger and it float charges just under full and the bms balance wires don’t get hot anymore.

Not sure if this is normal behavior for other chargers but they sure made it seem like it was.

1 Like

Interesting. I have 3 chargers a 2A, 3A and the evolve 4A. Both the 2 and 3A charge to 42.1 (not sure if that’s good lol) but the barrel tip doesn’t get warm with those. That 4A gets toasty and I can def feel a difference in temps using them.

Weird! My 10s evolve charger barrel gets mildly warm, nothing I’ve worried about though.

My charge port is fused so not too worried about it shorting/melting in the port (it did it before lol). Just wanted to see if anyone knew of a higher quality one. That charger is 2ish years old now and has been used a lot so maybe its on its way out not sure.

For 1 Personally used some art store clay laid on board in like a 1 inch band then let dry can take it off and use pencil to trace it then measure the paper. Also since I was 3d printing my stuff was able to just guess and print a little strip at the circumference I thought was right then check it and tweak a bit till happy enough with it.

For 2 I think this would be fine if the voltage output of both chargers matches precisely and or have diodes to stop current from flowing back into the output port since they’d be hooked in parallel any voltage difference in outputs would cause current flow back into one of the chargers (would be reasonable to diode protect the output but I don’t know if it’s common or not to do this, dammit Jim, I’m a web developer, not a “real” engineer). Other issue I’d see is trying to have multiple chargers handle balancing, but assuming power going into BMS for splitting and balancing then that wouldn’t be an issue.

1 Like

I would not attempt that, especially since chargers aren’t that expensive but lithium fires are very expensive. It also depends on the specific charger. A lot of them cycle on and off and they work differently. Not sure how well they would play together. It might work fine, though. It’s just the cost/benefit ratio is skewed totally in favor of buying a 4A charger.

1 Like

This is on a 12s5p pack. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Reason I ask, I have a 50.4V 2A charger and when the charger turns green and stops the board says it’s only at 74%

1 Like

Measure each P-pack and list all the voltages.

Make EXTRA sure not to short any out with the multimeter probes.

I just haven’t decided if I want to cut into a brand new battery yet :grimacing:

You could leave it on the charger for 2 weeks and see if it creeps up :slight_smile:

I hear often that sometimes if the packs are too far off balance, the BMS can’t balance them. But I’m not sure why. It should just take longer but still work.

Wait, is this is a brand new pack or not? Where did from it come?

Does anyone know the link to the fan favorite 8" Aliexpress tubes? can’t find it for the life of me.

EDIT: NVM. didn’t realise you can get them with the wheels. https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32994604945.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1dd13bcfrDpDv2&algo_pvid=f2c07d98-f286-42f3-b2c0-af1df393f88e&algo_expid=f2c07d98-f286-42f3-b2c0-af1df393f88e-13&btsid=25963f5a-aa25-4b2a-98f9-4e6b3ed23540&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2,searchweb201603_52