Appa v2 | 4wd M1 | SKP 6485 | DV6P

I know a few of you have been waiting for this, but I feel like it is finally time to start my first build thread.

Just to start off this beautiful deck was originally owned and skinned by @Jujo. He ended up selling his complete board to @Evwan who sold the deck to me. If you haven’t seen the deck yet, check out the Appa v1 sale thread.

SOLD [WTS] [US] APPA 12s7p Tesla2170 Torque6 ESC:

I wanted to build this board bigger and better than the original and my previous builds. I was originally gonna go with a set of SKP 7490 motors, but I found a wicked deal on a 4wd drivetrain, so I couldn’t resist going balls to the wall with this.

So for the parts on the board, I am going to be using :
Deck - Flux Motion V1 deck from @Evwan and @Jujo
Battery - 12s10p p26a from @Takachi14
Motors - 4 @Skyart 6485 v4.5 from @Takachi14
Trucks - BN 270mm with adjustable baseplates from @haven and @Takachi14
Wheels - Kenda Tires with Eovan hubs from @Takachi14
Drive - 4 M1 drives with custom Eovan adapters from @Takachi14
VESC - 2 MakerX DV6 Pros from @YUTW123
Remote - Puck from @hoytskate
Bindings - Ratchet Bindings from @Trampa

With this gearing, the board will go 60mph, so I plan on switching the wheels out to the Mad Tubeless tires from @fujio001 when they come out and have custom wheel adapters made by @Boardnamics. Might switch out some other stuff later as well

I also plan on adding a full lighting kit including rear lights, front lights, and a set of LED under-glow lights.

A lot of work still needs to be done for this build, and I will obviously post updates. For now though, I wanted to show y’all what is done already.

Inside of the enclosure (VESC has not arrived yet)

Drivetrain setup (other one is not complete yet because I went to Florida)

18 Likes

Yeahhh boi. Yip yip.

6 Likes

So happy to be apart of the revival of Appa

4 Likes

Yeah like half the parts came from you lol

4 Likes

Note that you need to make sure that the positive and negative terminals of the two ESCs are connected in parallel before powering them on together, otherwise there is a risk of damaging the CAN chip.
If you do need to turn them on separately, you will need to unplug the CANBSB terminal wire first.

4 Likes

What! Serious!?? Ive been powering mine on seperately on my 4wd for ages as i thought this was fine.

1 Like

So it’s preferred to use one power button for both ESC’s? Is the new 16mm UART power button compatible with earlier d75’s?

Okay so you’re just saying that both need to have power before turning them on through CAN?

What is the difference between running them from one button vs running from 2?

Wat so your saying that if i needed to for example program 4wd on any of the new makers, d75,100 or pro i HAVE to unplug the 2pin canbus wire 1st? Even though only the data pins of canbus will be connected?

rather than just turning one vesc on, programming then turning it off and move on to the second one while canbus is connected again only 2pin, canL&H?

No no yall are misunderstanding

Both of the POWER cables must be connected. If you power on one before the other with the switches while they’re both connected to power, it’s fine.

If you unplug one esc from power while they’re both on, it kills the can chip. This is kind of a known fact about vesc tho

3 Likes

Yes you should disconnect the 4wd can while programming. Seemed to cause major issues for me.

Powering one on at a time with CAN connected is fine but ONLY if both of their power cables are connected already.

Hmm. Still not following properly sorry. I run loop keys on both of my dv6s. Both escs have seperate power leads coming from the battery. I power them on and off seperately with loop keys. They are always connected over CAN.

From what I gathered, it was fine. Or am i playing with fire?

Wtffffff

Nooooo you’re playing with fire. This is exactly how my friend killed his two. Unplugged one before the other and the can chops died

Why wouldn’t you just use the switches?

They don’t have switches. One is an OG dv6 pro. The other a regular DV6.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @Akbrock47

2 Likes

That’s how we do things here lol

Oh right - idk about those ones. Generally I thought for 4wd u gotta power them both off at once

Yeah I believe that maker just had generally confused all of us but I already explained to Avery everything that he needed to know when regarding 4wd and was gonna help set his 4wd up with him on e the vesc shows

1 Like

And I’m pretty sure your loop keys for drive set up is fine cuz I’m fairly certain that Al had made he had me to four wheel drive board for someone in their board is using loop keys on stooge trucks and I believe they do the same exact thing that you do they take out the loop key and put in the loop key whenever they’re trying to program each individual vesc and blah blah blah

1 Like

When plugin the other ESC, there is some current flowing through the CAN chips, and this current is huge. Adding TVS to the CANBUS wire may avoid this problem.

1 Like

Maybe you’re better off just splitting ppm and skipping the can connection?