Apex Jump Drive

throw shit together, if it fits it sitss

3 Likes

Nah there’s actually quite a few things you have to be careful about when assembling these. For example, the thrust bearing pieces aren’t symmetric

1 Like

I’ve pinged it over to in telegram. :+1:

1 Like

Has anyone ever installed these on trampa CNC trucks?

How long are your axles?

I’m trying to install on mine and seem to not have the necessary axle length. This will probably become a cautionary tale of how not to install these drives

1 Like

I dunno how much use this is but compared to my matrix II’s. My airs which I would think were deigned with the jump drives in mind, have 5-10mm extra axle length.

Yes trampa have stubby axles and narrow hubs.

Most people using on trampa trucks already have trampa phatlads hubs as they brought a complete from trampa.

Standards, I wish we could all use the same ones.

4 Likes

So on Tampa trucks I cannot use MBS wheels or anything with the bearing spacing of MBS wheels.

Got it. I should have read closer

1 Like

I’m expecting a [WTB] Used phatlads post in the next 2 minutes so that you avoid buying new from Trampa :laughing:

4 Likes

I’m going to have to think of something else, I cannot accept a BN Hubs to phatlads downgrade.

I think I’m going to switch a bunch of stuff around, rocinante will be out of service for a long time.

You do have a set of phatlads you can use though. Until you solve it you can have the phatlads on there.

I sold them when I moved, let’s not clog up this thread

1 Like

I wrote a review of the jump drives on my mountainboard thread. I encourage people to read through it, but my overall thoughts are:

Well done lads, well done!

13 Likes

Kind words. I’m pretty keen on them myself.:grin:

6 Likes

I am also very excited for this drivetrain and have a 5.5 set here ready to go on a mountainboard build. I have the Newbee drive on two other boards and am getting the same quick-swap wheel ability but only by having an adapter plate mounted on each wheel. The Jump Drive way of doing it is brilliant although it does limit the available wheels you can use. Certainly the size and weight of the Jump Drive seems incredible. A feat of engineering.

4 Likes

Thanks man! More adaptors are in progress and they will be cost effective. We have as much forward compatibility as possible baked into the design of the drives so expect to see more options as things progress along.

This should be a gearbox that you can use for as long as you want, with high wear resistant gears, accessible/user serviceable bearings and cost effective spare parts such as our full service kit you should be good for many many years

11 Likes

@ApexBoards the slip on wheel adapter for the drive, how does it connect to the spur gear? A few bolts i assume? Im thinking of a crazy idea of getting a kegel adapter on there using maybe an existing pulley etc as i have infinity hubs and maybe using those wheels with this drive would be a cool set up.

2 Likes

These 5 bolts here. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Replacing the stormcore power button on this board, but decided to go through the jump drives and clean and reapply grease, now that I finally have time. I only thought to take pics after I cleaned and reapplied grease, oh well.
I only have about 600 miles on the drives, but the only wear I saw on the wheel gear was, (I assume) the black oxide wearing off. Maybe they are not black oxided, not sure, but they are essentially perfect. Slightly more on the pinion, but still almost perfect.

I really only street ride for the most part, which I feel, properly done bets is more than adequate, but these might change my mind on that, maybe.

6 Likes

8 Likes

Have you gotten @poastoast to put miles on these yet? particularly braking like a mofo so he can pop the loctite and circlips off them. :smiley:

I’m also concerned I could do it, though I’m heavy i’m not often heavy on the brakes so probably not.

1 Like