Apex Jump Drive

These look super sexy! I too have a couple questions:

• The photo for this doesn’t load for me; I’m interested in seeing what this rotary shaft seal is like! I f*cking hate v-rings!
  • So… which way round did you go? Does accelerating push the gear into the motor or away from it? :laughing: Also, isn’t this force reversed when braking? I personally brake with the same motor amps as I accelerate with, so does the direction of the force really matter that much?

• Will there be a drive assembly video? I love that you guys are using thrust bearings, but I need to see how the gears mount to them before I believe it :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

4 Likes

Found a video that explains rotary shaft seals:

Seems like a fancier, more effective v-ring with less friction. cool

1 Like

fixed. way less friction than the normal type of seal used and it doesn’t fling the grease out as much when it spins.

During acceleration thrust is pushed into this lovely cheep and easily serviced thrust bearing, there is no load on the motor bearings.

You might use the same current both ways but you use forward 90% of the time. that means you reducing motor bearing wear by 90%.

Also most riders are far more likely to hold sustained heavy forward loads more than breaks, as on most boards heavy breaks will cause much wheel slip.

A matched pair ensures correct forces on both drive sides.

6 Likes

of course the forces go into the thrust bearing when you are accelerating. We can’t realistically take care of the forces in both directions so we picked the direction that is going to be in play 99.5% of the time. We’ve taken care of it and it works.

This (prototype) motor plate that you see here not only houses the thrust bearing but also is what allows us to have an external backlash adjustment

lol, why would we lie to you? Yes there will be an assembly video but ive been out the country and then I had Covid so I kinda ran out of time

6 Likes

Also has a 1.5 year old running a much :rofl:

3 Likes

yes and there’s that! but yeah I was in Malta for 3 weeks then home for 2 but worked every hour before going to Majorca for 3 weeks. Came back Thursday night and then Friday morning my Mrs tests positive for Covid with me following 2 days later after looking after Poppy exclusively. Its been a bit shit tbh :smiley:

3 Likes

Well done lads :clap: awesome design! Im quite interested to see how the external backlash will work :smiley:

4 Likes

Lee mate, go outside and chuck one of these sets really hard towards the south, let the wind help you. I’ll catch it. How do we coordinate a time?

4 Likes

We would recommend to set backlash with the drive open so you can set it well . . . But . . .

In the rare case that it might come loose you can set it by feel at the side of the road in seconds and it will get you home.

Same with emergency motor removal in case of a wiring fault, can be done with one tool and without splitting the drive.

We have worked hard to try and remove failure cases that might leave you stranded.

No one wants the be stuck in the middle of nowhere and or to be that guy on the group ride who’s broken down and everyone’s waiting for them to fix things.

11 Likes

Oh you’ve been teasing us a long time for this one.

Great to finally see it without some emoji covering it up :rofl:

This is game-changing.
Great work Lee. Didn’t expect anything less :+1:

5 Likes

Nice work Apex. How does the weight of the jump drive compare to the chain drive ?

Id be interested in swapping my trampa spur gear drive for something a lot lighter. It only gets used in horrendous muddy conditions but it would be good to shed a lot of weight to make it mroe comparable to my obd board.

5 Likes

Mad design guys, well done

And huge props in getting the gear to hold up with just the circlips, on our testing we couldn’t get to that, no matter what orientation it would always come lose on both sides, maybe it has to do with shaft size, circlip groove depth, axial loads or probably all of the above

5 Likes

These look really cool, I wish you kept straight cut though.

Also newbee drives did similar things with L/R mounting plates, gears and thrust bearings

4 Likes

620 miles in on a test set, and they’re running so sweet! :+1: So tiny, solid, and well engineered. Will try and get a video tomorrow, but they’re sounding great!
Amazed how compact they are even with some LEDs wrapped around them!

16 Likes

These look awesome! Nice work dudes!

2 Likes

People keep saying this, but most who say it have never ridden straight cut steel gears.

They are not like straight cut POM gears, they have no give and this leads to harsh meshing. its hard to describe but its not a great feeling under foot.

Here’s some of our early straight cut prototypes we were running in august last year.

17 Likes

Nice pick up line :joy:

What do these sound like? looks effing sweet!

4 Likes

Got any photos of this? I’ve always struggled with finding the ideal motor angle. Always too low for ground clearance or so high the motors hit the truck…

5 Likes