APEX AIR & PKP TUNING MEGATHREAD

@Lee_Wright @BigBen @ducktaperules

I’m using Apex Airs on my new build and I’m hoping to get your thoughts on bushings.

I weigh 170lbs (12 stone), and I like my bushing setups relatively soft. This is going to be a combination street and offroading mtb.

Would you recommend starting out with the Krank red fatcone // white cone combination front and rear? I’m curious to hear if your thoughts on bushings has changed at all since you guys began this thread.

I saw Lee mention in a youtube video that you could also run cone // cone combos for a race style turn setup. Would you guys still recommend cone // cone for more turn?

Cheers!

I tried so many combos on my airs and landed on white Cones. As great as the trucks are - the turning circle isn’t great at all so my advice would be the softer the better and get the angle I’m the front above 30 degree. I ended up going 40 degrees in the front. It’s still stable a 50-60kph but as manoeuvrable as they can be.

That’s just my opinion but yeah …. I spent so much time tuning them.

1 Like

Hey! I’ve settled for swapping out the fatcones all round for barrels of the same durometer.
Although I have used cone/cone on a ridiculously sharp track I’ve found it a little too wild for day to day life.

2 Likes

Same as Ben, for a really turny ride I landed on barrel and cone (both white). Cone/cone is just too much for me, too wild. With barrel and cone I can ride the go kart track we occasionally do that is ludicrously sharp in places.

1 Like

Im currently running krank white 87a cones and fatcones. Keen for more turn but not entirely sold on the krank formula.

I really like the APS tall bushings I had in my savage tkps, so I’ve just ordered some 90a APS barrels to swap out the fatcones for.

Will report back on my findings!

1 Like

Hi @BigBen @Lee_Wright , wanted to confirm the apex air nut sizes here.

• Axle nuts = 7/16 UNF
  • Kingpin nuts = m8?
  • deck screws - m5 nylocks?

Thanks

The inserts in the deck are M6,
Kingpin nuts 3/8 UNF
Axle nuts = 7/16 UNF
Apex air mounting hardware m5
:ok_hand:

1 Like