APEX AIR & PKP TUNING MEGATHREAD

If anything, they’d feel even better on pavement, given the increased consistency of paved terrain. The amount of vibration and roughness is relatively low compared to mountain bike trails and the like. I think it’d be interesting to try and see how a really deep carve would feel with some tires stuck to the pavement at full lean. And also how they’d feel on the death shards of a NYC back alley.

I’m assuming one couldn’t easily adapt these to a traditional longboard shape, right?

5 Likes

I mean, I figure it would just take a 50 degree baseplate, but that would be a whole new thing that @ApexBoards would have to design, prototype, test, order, and stock.

But why would you want to put these trucks on a flat skateboard deck when carvers and MTB’s are so much better? :wink:

:gun: How dare you.

But sure, I know that they’re not intended for normie type decks. I’m sure one day I’ll have a deck that suits these magical trucks. An eMTB build is definitely something enticing, and these items make it more so.

6 Likes

Perhaps sacrilege, but I will be riding these more on tarmac than off road when the build is complete. I got a set of Kendas for the Apex Predator. I live in the city and want the best of both worlds - not seeing too many things say a Flux build could do compared to a true MTB in the city, but I know for sure if I get out of town this setup will give more utility than a Flux.

7 Likes

This was the exact motivation behind my most recent build, Mistfall. Though only once I completed it did I realize that Hypertrucks might not have been the best choice for any kind of real off-roading.

3 Likes

Really think there is potential here.
Have been planning a version of these to use on
a full suspension build I have been procrastinating on for a few years now.
Inspiration.
Nosno did song MTB stuff with these way back.

11 Likes

This might also interest you:

https://rogerswannell.com/blog/how-to-make-a-nompa/
https://rogerswannell.com/blog/some-thoughts-on-suspension-trucks/

6 Likes

I think OP probably flagged it. I think the point of this post is purely to discuss only the Apex Air and PKP tuning

Anything else could be considered off topic. Unfortunately we don’t have anyone around anymore that could move it to a different thread.

While it may have been nice information, maybe not purely relevant. It’s always up to OP

6 Likes

Sorry about that, may be change the thread title.
“& PKP Tuning Megathread” opens up the discussion

6 Likes

If we could try and keep it on topic guys please.

This thread is to discuss Apex Air and the various methods of tuning them.

We would love to indulge in some truck geometry discussions in a dedicated thread, we are engineering geeks and that sort of stuff is really cool but we would really like to keep this on topic.

Sorry about that!

2 Likes

OP here. I didn’t flag this so as far as I know that means multiple community members flagged the posts. But TBH if it’s not a post about PKP tuning is off topic. This is how discourse system is designed to work.

Back on topic, People started receiving their PKP trucks today so hopefully the first few intrepid explorers will start to report in soon.

@MoeStooge feel like your comment was very on topic. It’s got some interesting info about the stable properties of the nosno PKP.

I think the benifits of the AIR is that it allows the bushing shape selection was not available on nosno, and the smaller bushings allow you regain some of the responsiveness the nosno was missing. I guess time will tell.

5 Likes

So nice! Can you descride how much smoother is the ride using the air pkp trucks? Is the shock absorption similar to riding bigger or less inflated tires?

What’s the purpose of the soft bushing being boardside, I thought traditionaly hard always went boardside?

1 Like

I’ll be able to provide input from Texas! Front on, just waiting on GD mounts and a package from RipTide.

6 Likes

If you go up in bushing shape / size boardside you can go down in duro for a more plush ride.

8 Likes

AHHH good to know, thanks for your feedback.

2 Likes

You guys just shipped me a pretty healthy order of bushings. Looking forward to trying combinations… Green in Houston. I’ll post my feedback here.

8 Likes

First ride should be tonight! Locktite dried last night.

11 Likes

The hub gear was not pushed in all the way at the time of picture. Everything aligned great, spins freely. Motor is using fixed points as
I also installed the 9T.

3 Likes

Red pen is back

2 Likes