Anyone ever used wood for risers?

Anyone ever used wood for risers?

Need to add like 3 inches of rise on my deck so the bottom has decent room.
Its one of those lowrider decks with trucks boot area being higher then rest of deck.

Have an 1.5 inch (riser pads plus 2 shock pads) but thought about making one big piece out of wood to see how it goes.
Would sandwich wood in between shock pads to act as gaskets.
I figure the wood would settle and get squished if you want, with the occasional bolt tightening i think it could work. (Until i hit a crack in the road and wood cracks)

I could also customize the wood piece.

Any thoughts? Has anyone ever tried? (I figure back in the days that would’ve been the go-to way to do it)

1 Like

Yup, works good if you have a band saw handy

Yah I used rayne angled risers for a while and they’re wood

1 Like

Dont have a band saw but quite handy with wood.

Think ill give it a try. Worst comes i die and not much ppl will miss me.:wink:

2 Likes

Hmm that could work well. It probably would work best if it was a solid hardwood or something along those lines. When plywood cracks on the ends it usually ends up splintering more, probably wouldn’t have that effect with hardwood.

Source: The back and front of one of my old boards is basically gone and splintering, tightening the screws just digs into the cracked bits even more

I wouldn’t use plywood. Like you said its not hard enought.
Plywood, pressed wood are out mainly.

Gonna stick with hard wood. (Pretty easy and cheap to find around me)

2 Likes

Good good :slight_smile:

I use it on several boards. It works just fine.

The only thing you need to know is to add a solid half inch around your holes so its not too weak. Also, make sure it is a hard wood. If you can gouge it with your fingernail its not going to work very well

Edit: add a bit of epoxy or spray laquer for wet conditions.

4 Likes

Good to know.
I thought of maybe using metal corner brakets to old around the holes.

2 Likes

necessary?

Yes, Trampa use wood/fibre composite risers

@Sender used

1 Like

If you have any spare or broken skateboards just cut that up. Infact i used the same holes and just a square out of where the trucks mount.

1 Like

Been using ash risers for 2 years without issue.

Joke about rising wood

1 Like

Thought about using an old deck but i need a thick one and wanted one big block.

1 Like

I used a wood cutting board to make 1/2" tunnel risers. Been rocking them almost 1.5 years.

2 Likes

Oh yeah thats a super great idea.
Didn’t think about a thick cutting board.
Good idea.

1 Like

Be sure to make sure it is solid wood and not strips glued together. That is no good.

1 Like

Here ya go

1 Like