Anyone even using 18650s anymore?

Every thing chemistry materials used manufacturing proses it’s all a compromise to achieve there goles of a balance between cycle life, AH, discharge, form factor, cost, saving the planet and any other thing thay consider.

10A for a Tesla2170
6X the power so 10Ax6=60A
5.5x the volume 60A/5.5=10.9A
10.9 is 9% more than 10

It’s all in the advertising, manipulating the numbers to sound better 6x the power sounds better that’s why thay say that not a 9% more power. Same as 50% extra free dose not mean 1/2 of the item is free only 33% of the thing you looking at.

The second half of that quote, “as much as it’s a difference in physical layout”, is more relevant than the first half. For example, if you were to take Tesla’s current 21700’s, and give them a thick enough copper collector, they’d be high drain. They’d be capable of outputting what used to be short bursts (20a), continuously. If you add 9% more ampacity to their existing 21700’s, they’d only be good for about 11 amp’s cont. How long do you suppose current has to flow in existing batteries before it reaches the tab?

It looks like several feet to me. That’s getting cut down to inches. 4680’s don’t have to travel more than 80mm’s to reach the tab, where as before it could be as much as several feet (800mm’s). That’s a ten fold decrease in pathing. It has to be much better than 9%.

edit: It may indeed be just 9%. I guess it’s called the “electrode to current collector ratio”, and they can make it whatever they want. I imagine the new design will allow Tesla to use a thinner copper collector, and therefore a thicker anode coating layer for more capacity because the “tabless” design will allow it, and they don’t need more than a 50 or 60a cont rating anyhow. It’s interesting to note that the anode layer seems to cover both sides of the current collector. 50 or 60a would be ideal for esk8 for a 46mm wide cell.

1 Like

Yes have many thousands of them, have big battery’s and they only go from 20 to 80% hopefully they will last a long time.

Do want to build a 21700 battery they look ideal cells.

1 Like

But that’s at the cost of the same volume and weight of 5.5p pack that’s huge for sutch a low discharge.

Your arguing agains the figures in Tesla’s press release. You can want it to be higher but until there’s some in people hands like mosh then that’s all we can go off. Cars and Plev’s have very difrent requirements from battery’s. e sk8 we are reliant on piggy backing off the tech that has similar requirements from a power source such as power tools. E sk8 it’s too small of a market for companies to recoup the cost of research and development of battery’s. I don’t see Tesla ever been The saviour to push your boundaries that you’re looking in e sk8 as there direction is difrent.

You’re ignoring my edit.

Sure, if they want to limit it to 9%, they have that ability. It’s totally customizable down to the percentage. It’s not really important, I’m happy with 6x.

editing: in progress- it just all boils down to cost and availability. I’m not sure how many mah these cells will have to be to beat what exists, but ti will have to be more than 16,000mah, but I don’t see why that isn’t possible. 16ah to as much as 25ah, would be my guess.

1.09x the power vs volume