esk8.news esk8 calc donate now

Any ideas for stripping motor wire enamel to solder connections? Motors are basically useless now

Need some tips on how to strip the enamel coating (shown below) on the motor wires of a pair of Maytech 6880s I have. For some reason the long phase wires are fully coated making it very difficult to shorten them and resolder because nothing sticks-. Nothing really strips the enamel either- heat, acetone, sanding. I need a good solvent, any tips?


1 Like

Heat should be able to melt it (careful with the splurts it sticks and burns), what did you use? Heat gun?

I think it will need to be chemically removed. Tried with high wattage iron. This is a coating on the individual strands. It’s basically the motor windings

sand paper individually unfortunately :confused:

1 Like

@PatRocks has taken it the furthest.

9 Likes

good lord, why maytech

1 Like

I bet hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid)would work. You can buy it fir like $10 a gallon at home depot.

2 Likes

Another one, crimp method @Murloc992

And this type of machine

I believe hummie tried one like this, and it works.

1 Like

some simple sandpaper or a file will do. they’ll shine alot brighter without the coating.

2 Likes

I bet this will work, let you know

https://www.rust.co.uk/product/resin-remover-industrial-use-paint-stripper-55

1 Like

Never tried it but I saw a video of someone using aspirine (aspirin?) and a soldering iron to remove the enamel.

3 Likes

Had never heard that. Cool tip!
Had to look it up

3 Likes

Worth a try.

Makes you wonder what kinda stuff they put in that pill?

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions lol. Tried the aspirin, pass on that that. Made some funky fumes. Best/fastest way is with a propane torch and rotary wire brush. What misery

6 Likes

Pay attention to the motor resistance detected by your esc. I tried it this way first, and got really high resistance measurements, and thought I’d try the LYE method @deucesdown linked above. It’s utterly effective, but it’s really dangerous to do.

2 Likes

Yea I read that after I buttoned up the enclosure. I’ll have to re-run the detection and see what kind of resistance I was getting. What is a normal range? Motor detection went fine on both motors though, no issues.

I also tried an overnight sodium hydroxide bath but didn’t have an effect on stripping. It probably needs to boil like your method to be effective

You can just scratch it off with a sharp knife right? Thats what i did and added some solder fluid on the wires, it soldered perfectly fine.
Edit oh i see you already fixed it, good on you :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally I was showing 21-27 mOhms, and after reterminating the lye-stripped motors, I was reading 14 consistently, every time I ran the detection. I don’t know enough about this measurement’s importance to efficiency of operations to speak risk/benefit, but Idk. I just felt that it might be worthwhile. Plus, I wanted the attention (I’m a loser)

2 Likes

So the moral of the story is not to attempt to cut/resolder maytech motor wires.

Glad you got it to work in the end @Static

3 Likes

Thanks, same motor so should be able to make a good comparison