Anti spark switches

The Fatboy anti spark switch has a current consumption that will drain you board in a few weeks depending on your state of charge and battery size.
This is a fact.
So if anyone decides to go for it, he should be well aware of this fact or he is in for a nasty surprise.

2 Likes

Be nice. Guy just bought one has no idea. I’m just hoping that there is a decent solution and that its aired here. We build skateboards lets now build a forum.

Wow that was so wanky. lol

5 Likes

Show yourself Brian. I know you’re there.

1 Like

On the plus side the 3Dservisas one doesn’t burn out… I use my board regularly so the discharge isn’t an issue now I know about it.

1 Like

@Dareno I see you harassed deltazeta. Did you also hit up Gamer43? Those 2 look very promising.

Among the others I know of…

• BKB has a 100a one (tiny) with a 45 day instant replace

• martinsp’s roll to start antisparks also have passive drain, and many users were reporting trouble getting roll to start working

• eldoska has a bunch of different ones. The sale thread doesn’t have any complaints. It’s based on vedder/fechter antispark, which I think can be reliable if tuned corrrectly. But I haven’t been able to confirm these are rock solid. He’s also selling them on ebay

• deckoz AS150

I tore apart a XT90S to see if I can make something more compact. It looks promising.

• My favorite:

Awesome video showing difference in voltage ratings for AC vs DC

IMO gamer43 and deltazeta are the most promising.

5 Likes

When it comes to anti-sparks, AFAIK the name-of-the-game is precharged antisparks for reliability and longevity. This precharge circuit is what is responsible for @3DServisas’s antispark being reliable, but also having a constant draw

1 Like

I think I found some gold in comments for this video. Double break switches?

Actually the drain is from the MCU that’s always running watching for push-to-start events.

5 Likes

Like @deucesdown said logic always is on and checks if your motors are spinning that’s why it draws current

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s not a big deal that it draws some power, people should be using loopkeys regardless of antispark anyway.

1 Like

I did this. Just trying to get as many resources and resourceful people here. I know to many this seems like duplication but as I said. Reviving old builders threads here with current (excuse the pun) updates seems like a good way to do it. We’re getting some decent content popping up now and for all the new peeps info is readily available. I want to try to get things to the stage where we don’t have to link the builders at all. 100% community funded is a great feeling. Don’t be worried about chucking new threads up that have been thrashed out over there because there may be some new perspective now.

2 Likes

I don’t get why the mcu is drawing so much power… nearly 10 years ago I got into programming pic 12c509 chips and used a watchdog timer to wake from sleep to look for commands… iirc it was sub 50 micro amps draw. Surely watchdog timers and low power sleep is still a thing.

I don’t know why we need push to start in the first place. Keep it simple. How hard is it to hit a bloody switch? @Kug3lis
Kugs are you planning on a non push to start? Or could you do one because I think it would be exactly what most people would want. Well its what I want anyway. :smiley:

1 Like

I know of as min one which burned out as well. that was on a mtb with 12s though.

2 Likes

because less holes in the enclosure means better waterproofing.
I also heard about switches starting to work only randomly. What a happiness to push the on/off button 20 times till your board switch on or off.

3 Likes

The last one I had (a Luna) broke in the on position so I rode it for 3 months never switching it off.

You know me Andy. Simple to the point of basic. Easy to get a waterproof rocker switch and seal it in. Push to start is like metr in my opinion. Waste of time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

explain that to @b264

1 Like

You can’t explain anything to our Brian. He won’t have any of it. I love him for it. Not sure about the whole juggalo thing though.

3 Likes

I have plans for new one with almost zero consumption and also with push to start :slight_smile: a bit more universal not only esk8 related, as we have a big interest from efoil community as they ran it really high currents for long periods, so features like water-cooling, kill switch and etc :slight_smile: Also auto turn off feature without any wires to the motor like usual

6 Likes

Keep up the good work sir!

1 Like

Has anyone tried one of these? 48 V 200 amp rating. It doesn’t say spark proof but gas powered boats and sparks don’t mix. Vapors from gasoline are heavier than air and the bottom of a boat doesn’t allow it to escape.