Another Bro - Haero Bro, BN M1-AT, FS BH 6384, 12S6P 30T, heatsinked DV6, Matrix II on Riptides

This build has seen it’s early form back in September 2022, but I just finished Phase 2 of it:

Part list:

• Haero Bro 2021 deck

• MBS F5 bindings with new ladder straps after I managed to break one :sweat_smile:

• BN M1-AT gear drives with 5.2 ratio excessively greased into oblivion with Red N Tacky. Must. Be. Waterproof. Denmark weather is not that nice, especially on the coastline where I live…

• FS BH 6384 motors in the 170KV variant, one dead hall sensor

• Metal Matrix II with Radium adapters and Lacroix Hypertruck bushings from Riptide - currently running white in the front and red in the rear. Had to file out a bit from the baseplate to avoid motor bite, hope it will hold up :grimacing: I also have an Etoxx adjustable baseplate but the Riptide bushings pop out of the their place with that - though those baseplates would mostly fix the motor bite issue on the baseplate

• Rockstar II hubs

• MBS T3 tires

• 12S6P 30T battery with an LLT BMS that I made myself. Far from my prettiest battery but safety or current capability wise there’s zero compromises. And it doesn’t have to be the prettiest, as it’s only for personal use. Also it’s one of the first battery packs that I’ve made.

• charged by the Radium 12S 12A charger

• MakerX DV6 running 90A motor 75A battery, and -90A motor -30A battery per side. Pretty respectable acceleration and power due to the low top speed I must say :smiley: But I will probably grow into it quickly. Due to a dead motor sensor running Silent HFI coupled v0 v7 45 degree or whatever it’s called. Feels good, there can sometimes be a very minimal amount of cogging on startups or when changing directions. Ways better than running no sensors.

• Heatsink - I cut a hole into the pelicase knockoff enclosure and jbwelded in a heatsink. The jbweld didn’t end up looking that pretty, but hopefully it won’t start separating like the epoxy did on phase 1. There’s also an adapter plate between the heatsink and the ESC. Right now in the winter thermal performance is phenomenal. With that said I didn’t push the board too hard just yet. But I am sure that with the current setup motors will be the bottleneck as far as temps go, not the ESC.

• Flipsky VX1 remote

• Got a Metr Pro going into the board soon

Phase 1 was basically the same board just with a smaller enclosure with a 10S2P 40T inside and using the original Matrix bushings.

The specs

Weighs 19.5kg, jumping is doable but not the easiest thing to do.

About 30km range. Top speed is 44km/h at full charge. I am fine with the range, the top speed could be higher though, especially when the battery isn’t fully charged

7 Likes

Reserved

Update on the ABS_overcurrent issue:

Gone for a short ride around the block today, but I couldn’t really push the board as hard as I would have liked to because the ground was wet. I am still getting ABS overcurrent faults after turning on the slow abs overcurrent setting and having the ABS overcurrent value as high as the firmware lets me set it (160A).

However, I only managed to get it close to zero RPM, where bad tracking can probably be attributed to the silent HFI coupled v0v7 45 degree mode. Would make sense as I’ve managed to cog the motor twice quite a bit while changing directions. On my previous ride which was slightly shorter I got the ABS overcurrent fault multiple times at higher speeds as well. It still needs testing but looks like the issue might be more or less resolved :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I’ve redone the wiring on the motor side, now the issue is gone! There was a corroded / slightly burnt 4mm bullet.

Here’s the first long ride, speeds are 10% higher according to metr compared to gps, which I’ve fixed since.

2 Likes

Yo @Dinnye I’m just seeing this thread for the first time - nice build! hows the board treating you?

3 Likes

Thanks! The board has been working well mostly. I took it to a few european races and I performed quite well on it.

I’ve destroyed the helical BNs but I’ve been running straight cuts since the summer and no problems since then. Well until a few days ago at least, when my last working VX1 (out of the 4 that I have, of which 2 were DOA) stopped working. The board just randomly said full throttle while I was strapped in and got a speed wobble… My helmet took a slight hit but I’m fine

It’s going to get a slight facelift / rebuild soon and I am selling the whole board to a friend with a new gt2e remote.

And I am building a new one for myself, which is gonna be much more powerful.

20S4P P42A or 21S if I can make it fit in the pelican storm im2050, D100S, Reacher 6495 175kv, bn 5.2 straight cuts, bn channels, 2021 haero deck, mbs wide rims widened even more on 9x3.5 CST slicks (C190), and some cable management inspiration from your 4wd lacroix, I am super excited for that!

3 Likes

Oh and for a brief period I slapped on some junk on the front to make it 4wd to test out our university canbus traction controller project!

We ended up with a reasonably well working prototype, only got it working the night before the exam! It’s still has quite a lot of bugs and quirks though, it’s really not “safe” to use by any means. But the traction control algorithm works reasonably well (little shaky on wet ground, but actually works on dry ground) and having some sort of ABS in full current mode is phenomenal. No more fear of spinning the tires backwards. However there’s a catch, this algorithm requires 4wd to work. Also worth noting that the current algorithm requires that some wheels have traction to work, so it doesn’t help when all wheels loose traction at the same time

But that project is put on hold for now because my mountainboard will go back to 2wd, and my friends won’t have a powerful enough 4wd for the foreseeable future to actually perform more tests. Also we are at the point where it would be a good idea to rewrite the whole codebase from scratch now that we know how it works. I don’t think we will fix the 4wd only code.

We have a new algorithm figured out that should work on paper even for a 2wd board, but we couldn’t get it to actually work in practice so far. We are all interested in making something that works for 2wd though. And if something works for 2wd it should also work for 4wd.

3 Likes

HELL YEAH - I can tell from recent experience that a 20s4p square brick fits 100% perfect in a pelican 1200 with 2 d100s’s. The 1200 is only slightly smaller than the storm im2050. I believe you would have to get creative with a stagger pack in order to fit 21s4p in the storm, but I may be wrong about that.

haha yeah BN helicals be like that. I do like my 5.5 BN straight cuts tho. BN should have only done straights from the get-go. would have prevented many people having issues with the drives.

2 Likes

Yeah my helicals had tons of problems, but my drives have been problem free for the last 1k miles since I switched to straights

2 Likes

I hope not! I am definitely not going to bother with the extra hassle of building a staggered pack this time, if it doesn’t fit with the standard layout then I’m just going 20S. Your build looks great btw! I am going to take some inspiration for the motor cable management

I totally agree! For me the motor gear slipping on the shaft issue ruined two days worth of intro to speed sessions, and I also a had to have a way too long walk of shame… it was like 5 miles I think

1 Like

Sounds really interesting.
Keep up the good work.

1.58s 0-20mph with the traction controller on. Not too bad

4 Likes