Angled risers (any engineers here?)

Somo local companies around me, wouldn’t really be relevant since I’m far away from everybody, but any medium city should have some machine shop that does it

@dani may help you on that :+1:

1 Like

So looks like the machine shop at school needs a professors permission. I’ve got an old professor in mind that I can butter up with some cittrus from the garden
The shop does 1/8th inch aluminum, but I may then change it to steel. thats up in the air.
they can roll the bend that the Gbombs have in theory, but at that point i think the designs @257 made wont work. probably just going to wedge and 15 degrees on both sides for my purposes.
My goal is to extend the wheelbase of the spud 29 I have going on but also ad some manuverability.

1 Like

1/8 should be ok, if you get 6061 properties

1 Like

The problem with aluminum is doing the bend unless a generous radius is used, if done like the drawing on the first post it will crack while bending

2 Likes

40 degrees is a lot, Im thinking 15 for my apps.
If youre gonna bend that far you need to heat it

2 Likes

That’s a valid point.
Given the bend is done without cracking, the material will hold

1 Like

But if you get a T6 aluminum and heat it to the point it’s easier to bend, you’ve ruined all the heat treatment, which is what gives the high tensile strength

1 Like

hmm fair point, materials was never my strength.
do ou think a 15 degree bend will cause it to tear? with a large radius? say 1.5" or so

Not really a area I have much knowledge, but I’ve found some practical guidelines

It obliviously depends on how thick your plate is

http://www.cumberlandmetals.com/aluminum/minimum-bend-radii/

I’ve thought a bit about this scenario, and I’f venture to guess spring steel would be the best material, and then engineer thickness to your particular application.

I have not run any preliminary engineering data, but seat of the pants thoughts would place the thickness at around .2"~.25" based on flex requirements.

1 Like

That’s some serious sciencing right there.

2 Likes

Instead of bending could we make a wedge out of metal and bolt the plate to it?

Behold my 2D rendering

4 Likes

I’ve already planned on picking up some random leaf-springs in varying thickness at some junk yards in Mexico just for such a project.

2 Likes

Turns out aint so cheap around here lol. Also the only metal they stocked and could bend was 5052

1 Like

Did you try quoting in steel? This is something I forgot to mention, I couldn’t find a single place that would do aluminum since the cut finish turns rough and they refuse to do, for it it’s better do go water jet cutting, but that is expensive

Just to give you an idea for these 3 pieces I paid R$ 18, would be a bit more than $4

If you want I could quote here, but international shipping is crazy expensive

1 Like

You mean they wont cut aluminum? I though it would be easier to cut than steel. They said they didnt stock steel in the thickness I needed. But the price seems to be mostly in the bending or holepunching bc earlier they quoted $15 for the same size 6061 piece without mods.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s easy, but it’s hard to get a good clean cut, so they say

Could it be, I never sent anything to be bent, one time I asked somewhere and they said that if I needed soon it would be expensive due to having to put the dies for my desired bend radius, or I could leave there and once and if some other part needed the same radius they could do it

1 Like

Yea i guess setting up the machine is costly even though the bend itself is quick.

1 Like

You could try to bend by hand, a vise and a hammer is all you need

1 Like