Angled risers (any engineers here?)

The problem with aluminum is doing the bend unless a generous radius is used, if done like the drawing on the first post it will crack while bending

2 Likes

40 degrees is a lot, Im thinking 15 for my apps.
If youre gonna bend that far you need to heat it

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a valid point.
Given the bend is done without cracking, the material will hold

1 Like

But if you get a T6 aluminum and heat it to the point itā€™s easier to bend, youā€™ve ruined all the heat treatment, which is what gives the high tensile strength

1 Like

hmm fair point, materials was never my strength.
do ou think a 15 degree bend will cause it to tear? with a large radius? say 1.5" or so

Not really a area I have much knowledge, but Iā€™ve found some practical guidelines

It obliviously depends on how thick your plate is

http://www.cumberlandmetals.com/aluminum/minimum-bend-radii/

Iā€™ve thought a bit about this scenario, and Iā€™f venture to guess spring steel would be the best material, and then engineer thickness to your particular application.

I have not run any preliminary engineering data, but seat of the pants thoughts would place the thickness at around .2"~.25" based on flex requirements.

1 Like

Thatā€™s some serious sciencing right there.

2 Likes

Instead of bending could we make a wedge out of metal and bolt the plate to it?

Behold my 2D rendering

4 Likes

Iā€™ve already planned on picking up some random leaf-springs in varying thickness at some junk yards in Mexico just for such a project.

2 Likes

Turns out aint so cheap around here lol. Also the only metal they stocked and could bend was 5052

1 Like

Did you try quoting in steel? This is something I forgot to mention, I couldnā€™t find a single place that would do aluminum since the cut finish turns rough and they refuse to do, for it itā€™s better do go water jet cutting, but that is expensive

Just to give you an idea for these 3 pieces I paid R$ 18, would be a bit more than $4

If you want I could quote here, but international shipping is crazy expensive

1 Like

You mean they wont cut aluminum? I though it would be easier to cut than steel. They said they didnt stock steel in the thickness I needed. But the price seems to be mostly in the bending or holepunching bc earlier they quoted $15 for the same size 6061 piece without mods.

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s easy, but itā€™s hard to get a good clean cut, so they say

Could it be, I never sent anything to be bent, one time I asked somewhere and they said that if I needed soon it would be expensive due to having to put the dies for my desired bend radius, or I could leave there and once and if some other part needed the same radius they could do it

1 Like

Yea i guess setting up the machine is costly even though the bend itself is quick.

1 Like

You could try to bend by hand, a vise and a hammer is all you need

1 Like