Am I paranoid or is this sort of thing asking for more PEV related fires

20amp exway charger for 12s

1 Like

Knowing how smart facebook or reddit users are, potentially.

“Oh hey a 20A charger, it sure must be compatible with my barrel plug if i get an adapter”

That’s not the issue i see. Even 20A at 5s is fine, as long as your Chargeport, bms (if discharge), cells and Cable can handle it.

6 Likes

Good thing it doesnt make sense to buy a 300$ charger for a 500$ board

2-3k builds can handle 20A without problems :joy:

1 Like

Generally the wires and ports used in builds are in the 10A and under range, BMSs are usually 15A and under

You can easily get higher current (my MTB is set up to handle 20A charging without issue) but I highly doubt the Exways can unless they just released a new high current version and explicitly say it supports 20A fast charge

2 Likes

Is that not for the Atlas Pro with the top mount? If so, that’s likely getting paralleled off to 2 different batteries.

4 Likes

Dkwan used it for Atlas pro without top battery and it charged the board in 30min

3 Likes

It is, but you could also use it for just the atlas pro itself - kwan charged it in 30 mins which is nuts, I wish my board charged that fast lol

But yeah when you do the parallel charge with the top mount it’s like 2a per cell which is nothing lol

1 Like

His reasoning was so lame on why it’s ok to charge that board that fast…pretty sure he equated to just riding a board as being the same stress as charging it at 20amps

1 Like

Yeah that was kind of dumb lol

Not the same thing

At the same time it’s within the fast charge rating for the cell, so is it bad, ya, but also not the end of the world

If you tried to charge a flex with it tho… oh boy. 40T at 10a per cell

Unlikely that anyone would find an adapter or make one to adapt that though

Is that board 12s5p?

The atlas pro?

The one they charged in 30 mins

1 Like

It’s 701 wh but I’m not sure on p count

According to him it was 6a? per cell which would point to 4p

They’re using Lishen 2170LA I’m pretty sure

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance, but is discharging at 20 amps not the same as charging at 20 amps?

2 Likes

Not according to the specs for most lithium cells. For example, Samsung 25Rs are rated for 20A cont discharge but 4A max charge. I think like others say though, it’s ultimately the BMS that manages your cells so if you have a faulty one or BMS not rated to manage 20A you may be in trouble.

3 Likes

me wbo charges my packs at 8A per cell half the time :flushed:

1 Like

how are you not dead

There’s technically nothing wrong with charging certain cells at 8A, the p42a for example have a max of 8.4A for quick charging versus 4.2A standard charging, and I suspect many cells out there can charge at 2C safely at the possible expense of lifespan.

2 Likes

the lifespan thing is a really good point. I wonder what impact the 20A charger will have on the lifespan on the Exway board it’s marketed for. Average consumer will have no idea about the tradeoff they’re making

2 Likes

It shouldn’t make much of an impact, if you fast charge the cells, actually, at their full 8a per cell, then you see much less longevity

But that is not the case