Am I paranoid or is this sort of thing asking for more PEV related fires

I wouldn’t agree so much…
I ride a ~$2k build and even 10A is pushing it for that.
(In my board) 4p of LR2160LA at 2C is 8A, I’m balsy so I’d push to 10A but 20 for this would be far too crazy.

That puts a 5p of these cells around 10A for charging at 2C.

1 Like

technically, it’s only 2C charge rate, it’s not the end of the world

it is however the end of my battery’s lifecycle

How many batteries do you go though per year?

imma just say one pack every year or 2

by choice, bot cause i run em til they die die

There are some cells that can be charged at 8A (or some other fast/rapid rate) but their life span will definitely be affected.

Looking at the full datasheet for the P42A shows that 8A charging is only its max rating at a cell temp of 45°C and lower. Cells crammed together in a wrapped up pack will easily go over that temp at 8A.

There shouldn’t be any immediate safety issues doing this but IMO we can’t use the word “safely” because fast charging tends to cause the plating out of metallic lithium in a cell and that could eventually cause accelerated self-discharge or even a short-circuit if it gets bad enough.

4 Likes

Please correct me of I’m wrong but doesn’t charging at these higher rates cause accelerated dendrite formation which could lead to an internally shorted cell?

it causes nore impurities internally ya and less effective capacity over time

idk bout internally shorting tho

it just causes more wear and tear, unless you really dump current in, then it just causes fire

When dendrites get bad enough this is essentially what occurs

Also bit of a derail.

That’s the plating out I was referring to. IIRC it’s not always in the form of dendrites though (which are a specific shape/formation). It can just be a relatively flat metallic layer or spots.

4 Likes

Metallic lithium buildup can definitely cause an internal short. This can be a “hard” short that causes heating and possibly thermal runaway if bad enough or it can be a “soft” short that only conducts a tiny amount of current, even microamperes, that just results in speeding up of the cell’s self-discharge rate.

5 Likes

Is that just the difference between the crystallization growing “horizontally” opposed to “vertically”?

Trying to visualize what you’re referring to here, as I’m aware dendrite formation is crystallization of lithium in the substrate.

1 Like

I will assume those are lifepo4 cells? Which are rarely used in esk8

I’m talking about 5-6-8p packs which are common in higher end builds and can hand 20A charging without issues especially if the connectors are meant for the higher currents,

Plating out just means the depositing of metal onto a surface it’s not supposed to be on. It can be in the form of dendrites, molecule-thick sheets, localized dots, or other assorted 3-D structures. It’s just a general term to describe any of the forms metallic lithium can take when on a surface.

I use the term “plating out” to avoid being trapped by the use of terms for specific structures.

While dendrites are often the structure mentioned as causing internal short-circuits it isn’t the only way lithium can be deposited. I do not know what percentages of issues are caused by the different ways metallic lithium can exist inside a li-ion cell.

6 Likes