Aluminium Drop down brackets?

Three things I see different here: a) the drop is more steep now and a little short; b) the tunning fork is short; and c) the holes are drilled closer to the bend. These should technically improve the structural strength of the design :+1::+1:.

Original double superimposed brackets are a neat idea to give additional strength to the concept. This is a very creative concept version of a well known longboard gadget extensively used in the hobby.

@dani, one other thing I will consider (suggestion) for future improvement in your fork design, is that you should widen them towards the outer sides, that way they will gain considerable strength. Because right now I see them a little slimmer and that could still induce some bending under bigger loads.

2 Likes

Me lurking in this thread waiting for a place to send my money

3 Likes

Thank you.
Widening will make them extend beyond the base plate base, I donā€™t know how neat this will be.
On the other hand the lateral stiffness will increase

2 Likes

Here it is

Couldnā€™t use all of the bolts, will revise it with betterdata

6 Likes

Widening will make them extend beyond the base plate base

Yeah, is a consideration in case all the measures you already took still donā€™t work and bending still occurs.

The wide enlargement will be only at the fork section. Not by much, perhaps a couple millimeters to the external sides. Is not that aesthetically bad if they overlap the truck mounting plate by small marging.

Most truck plates sitting on a drop-through position over the tunning fork almost always never overlap the bracket. So is Ok.

Looks like we have a winnerā€¦? :ok_hand:t2:
Seems perfectly straight

1 Like

Bad news from me guys.
It doesnā€™t work, Iā€™ll need some serious design revision before Iā€™m ok with releasing these

4 Likes

Maybe do stainless?

1 Like

:hot_face:

1 Like

One solution, which we talked about in my thread here would be to weld the two plates together, but you would have to get rid of the space you designed in the middle

spring-steel

3 Likes

Fold edges down like the g bomb tts and tta brackets. Vertical orientation for the cantilever is what will give strength

Edit - donā€™t think these are folded, probably an extrusion

3 Likes

The problem is you canā€™t have vertical fold on drop down unless you weld the flanges

Cut the vertical part to shape, to form the dropped shape with folded tabs to form the connection for truck and deck. Drill the folded tabs for mounting points.?

No welds needed thenā€¦

3 Likes

You gave me something to think about!

Thanks,
Iā€™ll update

2 Likes

@dani, suggestionsā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m with you on this, but @DavidF wanted a fork ā€¦ :slight_smile:
Also, itā€™s slanted because I had no truck on the other sideā€¦ Just a beam to test these, the bracket itself is perfectly straight.

I will progress in two routes:
first will make the same one from stainless
Second will make a new design based on @rosco suggestions

Dani

2 Likes

Screenshot_20200910-165354_Chrome

1 Like

Could make a fork style, 2 pieces or one piece, with folds for the horizontal tabs to bolt to deck and truck.

Sketchyā€¦

5 Likes

Looking good, the only issue will be with lateral stiffness

1 Like