All-terrain E-freeboard

Base done. It’s 130cm wide and 90cm high. Because I made it wider it might need some welding to make it more sturdy, I will try to add two square tubes between the bottom supports.

3 Likes

First weld. Look like shit but it holds.

4 Likes

Bro.
Just finished building a press here.
Still building mould.
Maybe consider pressing up, don’t need return springs?
Some pics on my workshop thread.
Great project! Good luck :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Is this enclosure a single body same as previous DRFTB? or like SB with Castor base cover parts and a middle top box?
The allure of a e-freeboard that looks much like a standard freebord with capsule slip ring, hub motor and somewhat hidden battery is pretty great.

I would weigh in that AT/some trick riding nearly requires the clearance gained from a top box.

1 Like

Looks awesome! That’s a pro-press for real, love the red. I was considering pressing up but I was worrying about the bottle jacks would be messed up with all the glue. What kind of molds are you making now, wood, concrete, I saw you made wooden molds before?

Making a concrete mould to match with one of the wooden composite mould I made. Have made a plywood box formwork. Planning to pour the concrete over a dense foam layer over the timber mould to give me the right offset for the deck (if that makes sense)

Cool. Have the same idea but I’m a few steps behind obviously. Going to make a wooden mold to press my first blank then the plan is to make a concrete mold from that blank or I might use the wooden mold, we’ll see. But if I know myself I’m going to be satisfied with the wooden mold until it breaks.

3 Likes

This looks like another possible option 3D-Printed Skateboard Deck Mold - YouTube

1 Like

The plan is to have everything underneath the deck just like before, but I need to change the design. The original Leiftech enclosure might work better than the DRFTB one (you can get the caster wheel closer to the board that way). The other option is to separate the casters from the enclosure and try to fit all electronic in that middle enclosure.

1 Like

Progressing. Two 6 ton bottle jacks reporting for duty.

4 Likes

Sweet, following this project. Looking forward to see how this progresses.

2 Likes

Couldn’t find any steel plate thick enough so I had to improvise. At least I got to practice some welding.

2 Likes

Pretty much finished with the press itself, going to start with the mold and then some fine tuning.

4 Likes

What are your thoughts on a bevel gear drive, power transmission through the center of the caster basically?

This question is kind of for all the FRC kids watching wondering if they can turn their random swerve module parts into a e-freeboard.

Eliminating the slip ring is cool, random lockups from debris or improper maintenance isn’t. So pros and cons. Definitely the polar opposite of hub motor drives which are kind of ideal for this…

My question specifically about it is do you think the module counter rotation force from the bevel gear drive would be annoying

1 Like

I like the idea with bevel gear in general and to loose the slip ring would be nice for sure. You could absolute make a center powered e-freeboard with a bevel gear.

bevelgear

Have no real idea about the counter rotation, is it perhaps something that could affect the caster rotation in any way?

1 Like

Mostly if you jumped in the air while applying throttle the resistance from drivetrain could lead to the module spinning around, especially with no cam type anti-chatter.

I actually think it would be possible to make outer casters powered in this way if they were linked together with a slick chain inside the deck, maintenance nightmare of course.

Kinda leads me to mention another idea, which is putting two suspension castors in the middle of the deck instead of one, hopefully gaining enough traction to have significant acceleration. Idk just employing the modular aspect. Haha while pointing out silly ideas… Powered outer casters plus center castor power boost!?

Silly ideas are the best man! In that topic, I’ve been thinking about dropping the hubs for this build to try something else and go for a chain drive! Making an one legged caster with the motor in-front and the chain on the inside of the leg.

chaindrive

The main benefit for this is you could swoop out the wheel with just one screw, just like the Apex chain drive, @Lee_Wright. Just trying to figure out how to make it work with the small 105 mm Cloudwheel Discovery.

1 Like

Two middle spring setup for the press.

3 Likes

Trying to make the first mold. Long strips of plywood glued to a block.

3 Likes

Glue failure.

2 Likes