Airline friendly 12s4p p42a

I had an idea for an airline friendly eskate.

Here’s what I came up with:
Eboosted hs11 fiberglass enclosure
21700 nese tabs.
10awg silicone wire.
Llt smart bms.

I cut the nese moduless into 4p groups and removed the connection tabs on the ends of the modules

Then soldered the 10awg for series connections

After that I had to sand the enclosure to get the cells to fit

After the cells fit, I placed the nese modules into the cell pockets and soldered up balance connectors

Then I made some 4p dummy cells that were shorter than the p42a and used black RTV silicone to glue the nese modules into the cell pockets with the dummy cells in place for a friction fit

Once the RTV was dried I glued the cells into 4p configurations and popped them into the cell pockets with nese tabs installed.

Now I can remove the P groups with no tools and no wiring to mess with.

Let me hear your concerns

10 Likes

this looks great. you just probably want to be careful that there’s enough pressure on the top to hold the cells onto the enclosure. wouldn’t want one jumping around in there.

1 Like

You sir are a genius you could even post your pgroups.
Are they neo boxes?

1 Like

Ahh it finally makes sense to me now. Personally, I think you are batshit crazy. But that can be a good thing! Are you gonna insulate the p groups? Super keen to see how it holds up to some abuse.

Nice work dude.

2 Likes

@mynamesmatt I had to use a credit card to slide the pgroups in because they are so tight. Zero worry about them popping out. I can flip over the enclosure and bang on it. No cells move!!!

3 Likes

@Movation yes they are Neobox v6

@glyphiks I definitely am a sandwich short of a picknick!!! If you look at the P groups you can see the fishpaper on the cells that touch other P groups. I put foam insulation under the cells

Do you think this is inadequate?

1 Like

I would love to see the p groups wrapped in fishpaper, or at the very least, insulation between cells and balance wires.

Seeing the cells nude like that turns me on, but i fear for their safety.

Edit: oh i see the insulation paper now. Damn you guys and your white insulation paper. I want some of that. I just get the ugly green stuff.

4 Likes

@glyphiks. Check this pic out. It’s zoomed in. You can see the fishpaper on the first cell in each P

group.

2 Likes

@glyphiks all of the balance wires are covered in clear gorilla tape… you think I should add more balance wire protection?

Ok. So looking at the zoomed in pic, is there any chance that the balance wires can rub on the nese tabs?

2 Likes

The cells stick up above the nese tabs. where the balance wires are attached they stick up a little. But those are on the outside of the balance wire channel or loom

1 Like

Nice. It certainly is unique, and it looks like you’ve done a great job.

1 Like

This llt smart bms is a really cool tool!

3 Likes

I would suggest getting heat shrink and shrinking the p groups. Then get some cheapo adheasive backed labels that show the brand, voltage, ah, and wh. It should really help with easing the mind of tsa if it looks “legitimate”. Also, road vibrations long term will be a challenge, things eventually settle and loosen. I would think on that a little more for a solution. Besides that I love the overall enginuety.

3 Likes

@RedBaron there really isn’t any room in the enclosure for the cells to move. They are jammed in there tight. Also as far as TSA regulations, I want the stock cells information visible so they can verify the cells and their ratings. I work at an international airport and deal with TSA every day.

4 Likes

You can get clear shrink :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Like this? :wink:

2 Likes

What makes this specifically airline friendly?

@beherit you can pull out the P groups without any tools or connectors. You can legally carry on the Pgroups because they are under 99wh each.