Advice needed on DIY aluminium bracket strength

That i dont know, i work in solidworks :confused:

2 Likes

It means your boundary conditions are not correct. You have attached the edge as if the entire assembly is cantilevered, with a bending capability at the edge. In reality you will have a distributed restraint around each of your 8 bolts. You have to model the attachment correctly to get the correct load distribution.

When you have modeled the bolts correctly the red will disappear from the edge and reappear around the bolts.

1 Like

CF seems to be OK too and these are pretty cheap. fugly though.

1 Like

These are displacements.
Select eqv. Stress (von Mises) to see different numbers

1 Like

I can help you with this if you can wait until evening, traveling atm.

1 Like

I’m not sure I get what you say, I applied the force to the entire face, not to the edge

In reality, the way you have modeled is “conservative” - it will give higher stresses than you will actually see. You can get the same answer by hand like this:

Bending Stress = M*c/I
M = moment = load * distance probably best to assume that all of the load will be carried by one end of the board at times, even though typically it will be split between the two. The distance in this case should be from the load application point to the first row of bolts on the fixed (board) end.
c = distance from centroid to outermost fibers (half the thickness)
I = moment of inertia - since your cross section is a rectangle I = (b * h^3)/12 h is the thickness b is the width
Example with dimensions guessed from your picture. I will use English units because I am more used to typical material strengths in psi.

length from load application to first row of bolts 8 in
Width 4 in
Thickness 6 mm = .24 in

I = (4 in * (0.24 in)^3)/12 = .0046 in^4
M = 200 lbs * 8 in = 1600 in-lb

M * c / I = (1600 in-lb) * (0.12 in) / .0046 in^4 = 41,700 psi

A bending stress of 41,700 psi would require a high strength aluminum to carry (perhaps there is some material strength data on the site you are buying from). Or perhaps you are lighter than me and the dimensions are different.

5 Likes

I didn’t realize you were plotting displacement not stress. See comments by @dani.

1 Like

Is someone a mechanical or civil engineer??

2 Likes

Aerospace engineer.

6 Likes

The bending is a problem for tensile strength of course. Whle it’s nice to have your ideas made, perhaps it would be more sensible to shave a little off the price and do this?

http://exilemfg.eu/projects/exile-13-deg-bracket-gold/

If not then perhaps that link will help in terms of a meterials choice, of couse if you could mill instead of bend then you don;t have to sorry about stress cracks.

Maybe look at some of the alternatives linked on the IDEA bracket thread to see what other manufcatuers are using and their approaches?

Bonne chance!

1 Like

FTFY

I’ve looked for every possibility and the best choice is IDEA’s brackets.
They are not only fitting my shape requirement (drop down, with drop through) but it’s also beautiful
I’m trying to make it myself to avoid having to pay 210 euros for that but If I fail I’ll eventually come back to him. (Nice guy BTW)

4 Likes

Nothing I can find and judging by the price of their custom parts, quality must be pretty average

Ahah I love how you spend time answering my questions about folding a small piece of aluminium.
Must be like vacation for you :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

If you want cheap, see if you can find a company that laser cut steel, and with a vise and big enough hammer you can bend them at home

2 Likes

Skaters helping skaters.

I can’t begin to repay the amount of help I have received on this site.

4 Likes

Is this workable?

https://www.lasermaster.co.uk/easy-order

1 Like

I’ll trow these here @DavidF. Tusk Design Brackets. Perhaps they will give you some ideas or think in another direction. These were costume made by a pumper/ pusher in Amsterdam, the Neederlands, a while ago (think he offered these for a while and now he’s unreachable)…

3 Likes

you already know that @idea has already gone down this road… if I were you i’d avoid bending aluminum and laser-cut(or hand-cut and grind, cut) profiles out of high-quality aircraft ally… @idea has already posted his dimensions