Add fiberglass or carbon fiber to deck?

Would it be possible to do a swirled/tie dye look with the pigments on fiberglass?

Noob here just learning but skinned my broken haya v2. Just clear coating now and it looks mint (I think).

I used epoxy and black pigment for the tack layer. So you don’t see through the carbon weave gaps.

Then let tack. Not sticky. So it doesn’t come off on finger when u touch it. Dry Carbon will stick to that very well.

Lay carbon carefully on the tacky base coat.

I let it cure a bit.

Then clear epoxy over (so you can still see the carbon weave).

I used west system. 105/207.

Again I have only done this a couple of times and just followed online vids. Good luck!

9 Likes

Excellent point regarding pigment on first layer :+1:

3 Likes

I would use either a mould-release was or release film which the matrix you use doesn’t bond to.

BTW I have read before that clean dust free cloth is best. I was wondering if that was just esthetics or because it would mess up the epoxy mix in some way?

Dust free cloth as a release? No. That’s just gonna soak all of your epoxy/resin up and become part of everything.

1 Like

Sorry I meant the carbon fiber or glass fiber cloth. My CF sat in my wood shop for a few weeks before I learned that it should be clean dust free.

No release needed in this application dude, just skinning a deck

1 Like

Part of it would be to do with adhesion, but mostly aesthetics.

Also dusty cloth would be a bitch to clean without messing up the weave… just give it a good old blow and she’ll be right.

2 Likes

Oh duh. The cleaner the better. My teacher would say it needs to be 100% dust free but he is trained and used to aerospace level composites so it needs the strongest bond possible. I am in the habit of always using a release layer because I either use weight to press or a vacuum seal.

1 Like

Oh I understand now, adhesion makes sense.

I guess I will clean it the best I can as suggested. Hopefully it will hold. Thanks guys

If you get most of the big chunks out you should be fine. Also if you use an abrasive on the surface you are skinning that will greatly increase the adhesion as well. Though I don’t know what that will do to your design.

1 Like

it is mostly saw dust so i think it shouldn’t be an issue. We will see what happens, I will post pictures if everything goes well :sweat_smile:

By the way your haya looks amazing.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m still relatively new to forum life, what’s a haya? Would that be my avatar pic?

1 Like

I messed up it was @rosco’s picture. Sorry I should sleep instead of posting.

Anyways, @Papa_Ocean thanks for the helpful pieces of advice. You mentioned your teacher, are you working with composites.

5 Likes

4 Likes

One thing is for sure there is no calorie intake when you put your foot into your mouth.

I’m currently studying Tech and engineering education at Utah State which means that I can teach all sorts of vocational and technology classes. So we take machining, woods, welding, composites and a boatload of other classes. And we just take composites with the aviation guys.

3 Likes

You study to be able to teach those subjects.

You should write how tos on skinning or other cool stuff.