Adaptation vs. Purpose Built, how it applies to ESK8

How are you defining “esk8 specific” in this case? I would say there is a handful of trucks that was made with esk8 in mind. Are you going to say that the Evolve supercarve hanger with a permanent built-in motor mount is not specifically for mounting motors? What else is it for?

Unless you are trying to imply components designed to handle excessive abuse, in which case I could say that they are just over-engineered skateboard components, not necessarily esk8 specific still.

…but not esk8 specific, yet still superior in its output than any other esk8 specific ESC. I was proving your statement wrong.

LaCroix Hypertruck to name one. KalyNYC AT Truck is another. Moestooge 3-link. 3D Servisas FatBoy. There are more examples.

1 Like

Edit: Re-read your post and response. Your example is specific to a race setup. I’m not gonna argue the 1% of components that edge out the majority, specifically in the 1% of typical rider activity. :roll_eyes: I don’t see how it’s productive representation.

Amperage capacity is not the only metric here. Braking performance, safety feature, failsafes — all highly lacking. They have improved greatly. But an RC ESC was not compiled to stop 200 lbs of mass moving 35 mph, nor does it have any protection to not eject it’s rider if it suffers a failure.

ESK8 specific means designed for what esk8 goes through. That means everything, massive vibrations, impacts, mileage etc, all drastically increased from what any kick board would see. To me, that means current capacity, braking failsafes, component redundancy, integration for light controls, active brake lighting, communication redundancy. All of the above.
CNC versions of the same trucks are upgrades yes. The Kahua is the closest thing to an eak8 worthy truck IMO, if it wasn’t MTB width. It’s strength, machined round ends make mounts easy. BLa blah Enertion welded a bracket to a DKP, that wasn’t innovation. Kaly and Lacroix have machined high quality aluminum to replace plastic and cast. Those are notable improvements, but the MTB trucks are already well ahead of standard trucks.

ESK8 designed decks can integrate components, lighting and provide the necessary strength. These have advantages and disadvantages to flex and config.
ESK8 wheels. Most of the 90mm and up options exist because of esk8 and basically a perfect example of this.

I’m saying that ESK8 specific parts could/should be better, and some are. It would be a shame for really important features to continue to go underdeveloped while we chase peak performance metrics.

Repurposing other parts for esk8 are great. But in theory, designed for by the people who use them will always be superior— if people are willing to pay for it.

Definitely agree. There’s a lot of just okay and crap stuff on the market now.

@Zach

I think for the most part, it comes to quality. Only the best of the best works for esk8, purpose built or not.

Kinda like this angle and I like to think is the way I approach projects but there are also other DIY aspects I’m inclined to, like the looks, aesthetics, form over function and strong attraction to unconventional and complicated things.

ABS enclosures vs Fiberglass/CF purpose built enclosures :joy:

3 Likes

I think that esk8 specific products have a higher chance of working well/better with little to no modification.

Adapted products, well, requires more work.
Remember when people were using Hobbyking mounts on Calibers/Paris trucks?
Now there are mounts that fit well with its respective trucks.

Another comparison i’d like to pull out is with custom esk8 trucks with longboard trucks. I’d go for CNC-ed trucks like the Kahuas, BN 184s, 3DServisas trucks if price is not a matter, but it is, so it’s down to Caliber IIs if budget is an issue.

I guess it boils down to the price that comes with the product.

2 Likes

Yea definitely. I think we’re just about in a place with cost of aftermarket hangers that caliber 2s aren’t as much of a recommendation anymore. Especially as more bearing supported pulley options surface.

I feel like every one in this thread is wearing a smoking jacket, swirling a cup of @mmaners whiskey, discussing whilst smoking a cigar is Mikes garage…which has now been turned into a smoking room from the movies.

I hope what comes from this discussion is more purpose built items, better components that we have access too.

We’ve come so far in regards to what’s known and what’s available to build with.

3 Likes

yet not so. I still can’t fly with my build and i am getting depressed everyday. Even the magpies laugh now.
we are like the emus of esk8. we have wings yet we don’t fly

3 Likes

This is one I have argued over a lot. There is no denying that Fiberglass & CF are more attractive and more robust than ABS. There is also no denying that the cost is typically 3 to 5 times as expensive. I think ABS, from a performance PoV, is good enough for 90% of the people building. I also believe its better than injection molded as it is flexible and survives impact much better.

2 Likes

This is another good example. Bearing supported pulleys are not the magic bullet that a lot of people think they are. Sure they are easier to install and keep aligned, but they also increase resistance. This resistance has a measurable effect on WH usage. I’m not saying they aren’t great, they are and it’s what I mostly use. I\m just saying the question is not an easy one.

1 Like

That is the best idea so far, hell, I’ll even supply the smoking jackets :slight_smile:.

That is my hope as well. I think an inexpensive caliber quality truck with built-in motor plate mouts in the style of Evolve DKP trucks would sell like crazy and make it much easier for new builders to start. I also think that precision MTB trucks with a square profile and a small’ish price tag would change the standard build massively.

2 Likes

the way i see it, when the dude brought his ABS enclosures to the market (4? years ago) everyone else was DIY’ing their own enclosures. it was, at that time, the most purpose-built enclosure available. it inspired the fiberglass and carbon enclosures that have since come to the market.

2 Likes

Hoyt has an elegant solution to that problem, although you are limited to 10s3p which is not going to ‘fly’ when talking about MTB type builds. I have the Hoyt drive-train and Hoyt battery packs on my Evo. I get 12 mile of travel and easily hit 30mph. This on a board that is airline travel friendly.

4 Likes

I find adjusting power, breaks, throttle and brake curve easier and more intuitive on the mamba xlx than on my foc boxes using the vesc tool.

4 Likes

From purely a design perspective, a pulley should not be a cantilever load, there always needs to be a bearing in line or outside of the center of force. I would say that is purpose built with proper design in mind whereas bolt on and press pulleys are adapted to work

1 Like

Regarding resistance, if that is a concern on a given build, a pulley mounted to the wheel but not in contact with the axle offers less resistance.

This is true, but other methods can be used to minimize that resistance down to less than 1 watt of loss per bearing under load. No contact LLB bearing seals, light grease/oil, teflon cages vs stamped steel etc etc.

1 Like

I can dig that. The issue I see there is the same problem I have with Li-Ion cells, lifetime and ease of replacement.

Not trying to start an entirely new discussion, Im just not sure that because a thing is possible means the thing is a good fit.

On the majority of my belt drive thane boards I have BKB pulleys, which sit on a pulley. I like them I really do, and feel like the trade off is well worth it. I have one board that is just meant to be fast, so I am minimizing resistance with harder than normal wheels and wheel mounted pulleys, among other things.

2 Likes