Active Helmet Cooling/Ventilation

• BY NO MEANS DO I ENDORSE MAKING ANY STRUCTURAL MODIFICATIONS TO HELMETS

Now that that’s out of the way lets discuss.

I just purchased the Triple8 T8 Racer helmet because it looked cool and fit my budget (among other reasons). One thing I didn’t check for was ventilation, and apparently, this helmet runs hot. Anyone that knows me will tell you that have zero-tolerance for excessive heat. This brings me to this idea:

Somehow connecting these:

to the air vents here:

using something removable. I’d make a small 3s 21700 pack that lives in a 3dp box on the back of the helmet or in a backpack or something.

Please if you know any examples of someone doing this post them below.

How would you build this?

5 Likes

Hypothetically if I were to do this…

I’d hollow out the cheek pads and route the wires through to the back where the 3dp part is. Also if there was going to be a noticeable box in the back of the helmet, I’d also install some red LEDs as my rear headlights

But whenever it gets warm inside, I just crack my visor open a little bit and air rushes inside no problem

3 Likes

Great idea!

I want to eliminate the need to do this. Also I’m reeeaaalllllyyyy sensitive to heat, so that may not be enough for me and others like me.

1 Like

Come to Florida, you’ll get over that zero tolerance real quick.

7 Likes

This is why I don’t vacation in Florida :joy:

2 Likes

Why not drill holes in the visor? On the side and at the mouth level. Free air con with les weight than before.

Also those tiny vents on the side look like they won’t take any substantial air through the helmet…

I feel like the hottest part of the helmet will be the top center. I was thinking of running tubing to there to create a low pressure zone. I will have a lot more ideas when the helmet gets here.

Open the visor

2 Likes

Have you ever worn any headwere with fans?

Noise
Only cools part of head
Bead of sweat blown in your eyes

In the end most people swop them out for better ventilated versions live with it been hot.

It’s a very tricky thing to get the right balance

4 Likes

This + go faster

9 Likes

stick it to the helmet. I rode with batteries for lights with a wire to off helmet batteries. it was super super annoying every time you take off the helmet.

2 Likes

If you are going to add cooling make sure you work with the airflow the helmet is designed for, not against it. Those ear vents are for are out, not air in so you will be working against the natural air flow by pumping air in there.

If I was going to do this I would pump air in at the chin, though I’m not familiar with that helmets airflow design so YMMV.

Edit: sorry @Skunk, unintentional reply.

Lol, all good
I was confused for a second.

2 Likes

This. I had wired coms to a short wave radio for about three rides before I got sick of it.

3D print some hood scoops and connect them to ½” diameter flexible tubing. Then just pipe it in where you need it. Prolly under the chin.

2 Likes

What about an Exfog? Made to reduce fogging in airsoft/paintball masks by circulating air. Not cheap though but they work

You’re right. The plan (in my head) was always to pull air out. I believe the intake of the radial fans is on the flat face. This would allow them to sit “flush” with the ears of the helmet.

This is in the “hold my beer” category for a reason :wink:

2 Likes

I see, so your intention was to mount the radial fans directly over the ear vents?

Have you heard one of these fans running before? They aren’t quiet and mounted directly over your ears is going to drive you crazy.

If you are going to mount them to your helmet, soft mounting at the back of the helmet I think is the only way you the noise will be tolerable.

Also I am not sure how well these fans would work to suck rather than blow they aren’t designed for that and I am not sure it would work well.

This comment turned out to be a lot more negative than intended, I do think you can make this work but perhaps working with the strengths of the helmet and available fans would lead to a better outcome.

1 Like

Don’t sweat the negativity! I made this post specifically to get rid of the bad ideas before I waste any time with them. What would you recommend we use to move the air?

2 Likes

I think, stick with the radial fans, the higher pressure is going to help get the air into the helmet. Just try and reduce the amount of noise/vibration they transmit through the helmet.

The helmet is going to act like a giant resonator for the fan vibrations so minimising that is a big qol factor.