Active Helmet Cooling/Ventilation

I was thinking this but better, bigger duct, better fan mount etc.

Do these blow or suck?

1 Like

Blow, radial fans like these are designed to blow air out of the small hole in the side of the housing.

I think it’s worth mentioning that a few motorcycle helmet companies have made some
This is the one I have on my buylist for next year

3 Likes

I really rather the bulk be in the back. This is ugly

4 Likes

Well…technically…nothing stops you from installing it there? It’s a GoPro style mount and I believe the air vent is directional.

You could probably even make an adaptor for the vent to send tubes to different places in the helmet and not have it on the helmet at all. I’m planning on making a sort of long vent shaped like a bracket “(” to redistribute the air more

1 Like

That looks pretty badass imo. Just need glowing eyes as well

1 Like

Mounting the fans to suck not blow… are they goin in the helmet? If they are mounted outside the helmet they need to be shielded against the outside air as it moves over the helmet. I doubt those little fans can operate in 35mph wind speeds

I still vote hood scoops.

I’d probably put them in a case along with the battery pack. This should shield them from turbulence.

You’ve been to group rides with me. There’s a lot of standing around, so I’d get hot still.

1 Like

I kinda like this idea. Instead of air filters, install fans. That would be dope tbh

2 Likes

Ain’t that the truth.

1 Like

(Edited cos I came off a bit negative - but didn’t really mean to :grimacing:)

Im not sure it’ll work well.
I have the same helmet, and if it gets a bit hot I just open the visor a bit.
That helmet is never gonna be as cool as a well vented helmet. A small computer fan may assist the airflow somewhat but I doubt it will be effective enough to meaningfully cool your head.

Other easy solution is a helmet with actual air vents. Like a DH MTB full face style? That’s your easy option if u have real heat issues, natural ventilation. Not the same, different functionality and look, but a shitload easier than building a robocop helmet…?

1 Like

Since hood scoop and pierced visor are a no go, I have another suggestion if you really want A/C.

Taking advantage of the very little air circulation of the helmet, it’s inefficient at max in terms of consumption and dissipation but work it out and you’ll be really cool-headed :

Couple Peltiers modules inside the helmet, running 12v. Make some space between the padding and the shell.

For the cold inside, fix a soft metal plate + soft wires all around the shell. Let it bare or wrap it in cotton so thermal properties are not insulated too much. The metal plate and the wires will provide cold temp.

For the volcano outside (cause oh boy, it will heat up like mad), add caloduc heatsink + air exposed heatsink + electric fan. You can dispose them as you wish for maximum airflow and best possible aesthetic (if it can even be aesthetic at all).

There, air con helmet.

1 Like

This is going to require a giant battery to keep running. Peltier modules aren’t known for their efficiency…

2 Likes

lol just run it off the board battery then

1 Like

Are tiktok videos and acceptable medium to share content? Ok Too bad it’s all I got

This is the best video I found showing how the old “swamp coolers” like this classic thermidor work.

I think a mini 3D printed version of those would be really sweet and possibly work better than other options.

1 Like

This is the video that I watched to learn about swamp coolers.

1 Like

Oh yeah that channel is great!

Forgot that was what that video was about, thanks for posting it!

I just thought making a model of the thermidor would be an interesting throwback, design seems good for a helmet mount.

1 Like

Yeah the thermidor is a cool design! Would be easy enough to integrate a small fan as well to aid with airflow at low speeds.

2 Likes