ACEDECK ARES X1 - 14S4P 4WD TKP

Friend of mine has a 4WD Acedeck that just launched him off at 25+ mph. Said he was cruising and one of the front wheels locked up and tossed him off the board, remote said board over current and now one of the wheels just doesn’t work at all when powered on. Ouch

5 Likes

@Stealther I think acedeck might be using a vesc

5 Likes

afaik it’s “their own design”

aka hobbywing with some upgrades

1 Like

Can’t be a hobbywing, they don’t cut out

4 Likes

that’s assuming the ESC was the source of the issue, could be any number of things

@ablairlamb did your buddy ever try pairing the hobbywing/acedeck remotes with the opposite boards?

it’s not lol, I don’t know too much about how acedeck manufactures these but by the looks of it they didn’t even have the right motor calibration out of the factory…

1 Like

Every company claiming they did their own esc (that is not a vesc) is full of shit.

All the boards, acedeck, tynee, sheehev, elofty are using Hobbywing. Everyone who claims otherwise is full of shit too.

9 Likes

Preach!

3 Likes

They aren’t quite a hobbywing, but they all have the same OEM

1 Like

It is some sort of branched off hobbywing esc. It is based on the same architecture, design and behavior.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry forgot to post about it. He wasn’t able to pair them, but I can’t be sure what his technique was (he’s not local to me so I couldn’t try it myself)

2 Likes

The remote didn’t drop/lose connection, it threw a motor over current error and locked up a wheel completely. He’s on the heavy side (240lbs~) so probably near the weight limit of the board, but according to him it was a flat surface and he was just cruising along leisurely at speed.

1 Like

Ive seen a grand total of one company that actually did their work - eovan with their GTS carbon pro, uses a customized OEM VESC that i havent seen elsewhere.

Everything else is definitely hobbywing/lingyi/derivative, not to say thats inherently bad, its just something to be mindful of. More recent hobbywing escs are perfectly fine for most boards on the market imo, plenty of punch for an average consumer, but its not a bragging point to us among the diy community.

2 Likes

Coming in hot!

1 Like

Nice to see they went with TKP and Inverted Kingpin for the trucks, I’ve taken a small chunk out of my kingpin which if I was less lucky, could have made bushing changes harder

1 Like

Just saw this board is on sale, 1699. Zeus pro is 1549.

Which board would be best? Zeus pro had been out a year. Ares is new, unknow long term.

They used hex head bolt which is loads better than SZ and their hex key kingpin.

The idea overall has the flaw that when you crank your kingpin down it makes it grip the bushings so removing it is much harder than installing it.

yep.

Zeus pro. Acedeck has some issues on the ESC that they haven’t been too forthcoming about (saying there’s an update to it for “performance enhancement” and neglecting to mention the serious safety issues). I just sold a Zeus Pro and it was a very solid board. Mine never gave me any issues and l enjoyed riding it.

1 Like

Seems like when these new brands come out of nowhere with some mysterious new esc sh$t goes south.

2 Likes