Acedeck 14S4P battery only charges to 58.1 volts

I have an Acedeck Nomad N1. From the very first charge until now it has only ever charged to 58.1 volts rather than 58.8 volts. I’m very concerned that this could indicate some fault with the battery that could become a fire risk. I contacted Acedeck and their answer was ‘we’ve talked to an engineer and you don’t have to worry, the battery is safe’. I don’t see how they could possibly know that it’s safe. I continued to express my concerns but now they’ve ghosted me. I would have expected as part of the quality control checks they would insure the battery charges to its full capacity.

So my question is, are they correct? Should I not be concerned?

TIA

1 Like

Have you verified that your charger puts out 58.8V?

Have you measured the pack voltage immediately after the charge stops? You’re charging to 4.14V/cell now and that’s not low for a pack that has settled, dropped to its “resting voltage”, after charging.

2 Likes

I’m going by the voltage reading on the remote immediately after charging and after the charger has been disconnected for hours. The charge level doesn’t change after resting according to the remote reading. I did try to check the output voltage from the charger but the plug they use is difficult to get probes into. I’ll open the battery compartment tonight and check the charger voltage at the connection from the charge port to the battery.

I really appreciate your input on this! Thanks!

1 Like

Can you read the voltage on the remote?
Some bars don’t count

Yes, the remote gives a numeric voltage readout.

1 Like

I know acedeck doesn’t use vescs, but with vescs the voltage reading can be off by 0.5-0.7V quite often… Maybe it’s true for their esc as well. I would only trust the reading of an actual multimeter, not the esc/remote. Also it’s normal for the cell voltage to drop down a bit after you take it off the charger.

It could also just be an uncalibrated charger though. I personally wouldn’t worry about it much.

2 Likes

Measure the charger output.

1 Like

Stopping at 4.15v/cell is very normal and healthy for the battery.

6 Likes

We talked to an engineer and all is fine!

Yes, I found this answer very dismissive and unsatisfying.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I did expect I was getting an accurate reading from the ESC but perhaps you’re correct and it’s off by a few points.

As far as resting voltage, it doesn’t change according the the remote readout… if I charge until it stops in the evening it reads 58.1. When I go to use it the next day it still reads 58.1

I have to open the battery enclosure to test the charger because I can’t get my test probes into the charge plug. I’ll be doing that this evening.

Lmao okay. Don’t be an askhole.

Was gonna add more to it if you asked “can you give me more info” or something less sassy

1 Like

I demand 100% on my battery!

I apologize if I replied to you accidentally when I was trying to reply to someone else and I came off as rude. It was not my intention. This is my first post here and I’m on my phone…

1 Like

No. I was just concerned that this might be indicative of a faulty and or dangerous battery. This is my first board so I have no idea.

Ah gotcha, well in that case.

When charging, especially fast charging, there is “phantom voltage” which is like the opposite of voltage sag.

So when your pack hit a resting voltage of 4.15v/cell the BMS was probably reading 4.2v or 4.25v/cell. This would trigger the over voltage protection and end charging (green light)

As soon as the current from the charger stops, so does the phantom voltage and it goes back down to 4.15v/cell.

You can make certain you reach 4.2v/cell (“”“100%”“”) by using a much slower charger.

5 Likes

That’s very informative as to how the charging system works. I’m not fixated on forcing it to charge to 58.8 . I was just concerned it might mean I have a bad cell in the pack or something.

You and the other knowledgeable people here are helping put my mind at ease and directing me to things I can check and I really appreciate it. Thanks!!

4 Likes

by charging to 4.15v it will also increase the battery life. not by a huge amount but it helps

3 Likes

Cycle life to be specific

4 Likes