About Steel Gears (A long journey)

Yes please also

2 Likes

Excellent write up. Looking forward to following the rest of your journey. So cool you got to work with Gotteswinter!!! I’ve been following him for years. He is a true toolmaker and craftsman!

3 Likes

When @b264 shows up to this thread

15 Likes

Awesome stuff, love the sound of the new ones. I am definitely interested in trying some steels gears in the future.

@Bavioze I’m sure you like this too :wink:

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

giphy

12 Likes

Thanks to @Minimadness

Btw i could easily have gone mod 1 for my geardrives, oh well lesson for next time.

i advise against opening this with headphones

10 Likes

For the ones who do not want to worry about gears. Steel gear ring on aluminium core for our standard SGD drive. A straight replacement for the POM gears.

10 Likes

Herringbone steel gears? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

8 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, why go with such a large helix angle when it is way over the necessary to have teeth overlap? I imagine you guys tested a few and this is quieter?

Really cool hybrid material part for the wheel gear

5 Likes

Just checked the site today, they have multiple degrees starting from straight cut to 30°. I think 0, 10, 15 or 17.5 and 30.
I would try the 30° ones to be honest, too bad they all max out around 51km/hr :frowning:

1 Like

The 1:7 ( 9/63) has the biggest angle. The angle has an impact in the diameter of the slave gear and fitting it into the existing housing required to choose a higher angle. It also makes it quieter.

1 Like

glad some liked my little write up. I can recommend creating stuff yourself if you have time, feels nice when everything works out.

@moon is the man, he also helped me a bit back in the days. Would be awesome to see some steel gears in your drive. If you need something let me know. :point_up:t2::smiley:

sesh, I didnt know trampa has gears like this. But Iam not sure about the aluminium steel combination.

@Trampa Frank, nice work, when those came out? How are they actually „connected“? simply out of interest :smiley:saw some waveform cycle hybrids.

But for me that was nothing, too much effort, money is tight and things just had to run 1st try. Weight difference isn’t much either, isnt it? (3.0 will be even better hehe) do not know if this is not another weak spot at the end. Maybe Iam wrong.

cheeers🍺

2 Likes

Thanks, I am always happy to help

2 Likes

As you can see im better with mechanics than with electronics :woozy_face:

3 Likes

You can glue them or heat shrink them onto another, or do both…

1 Like

thought about something like this

9668220_big_1864886

4 Likes

https://www.maedler.de/product/1643/1618/2133/stirnzahnraeder-stahl-schraeg-verzahnt-rechts-und-links-modul-1
check this site out, you could probably rework some gears off here and make them work for our application

2 Likes

they offer a reworking service and customs gears
would be awesome to ask them

also real noob gear question but how does the module affect how well the gear works in our application
in esk8 they all seem to be between 0.8-1.5

Awesome. I’m breaking Pom gears too. Actually replacing one today. Moon is workin on some which I’ll pick up once they’re available. It’s nerve racking knowing it could happen at any time

4 Likes

Are you breaking the straight cut or helical?

1 Like