A more compact/minimalist, 3D printed Puck enclosure

As I’ve trolled the forum I have found that a lot of people, including myself, like the Hoyt Puck, but feel that it has an unfortunate shape. I’ve been working on my CAD skills, and I wanted to see if I could design a smaller enclosure that would fit in the hand better as well as the pocket. This is what I came up with. I call it the Nug. There is a link to files at the end.

To thin out the Puck I removed the battery housing because it seemed unnecessary and replaced the 1000mah battery with a 750mah battery. I had to reverse the polarity of the lipo by switching the wires around. If you try this out, check the polarity so you won’t fry your puck. I also had to trim the three plastic stems by the thumbwheel to get things to fit right.

I got rid of the R/L button and the programming button, because they are rarely used. I put a small hole in their place so that a paper-clip can be used if I need to access them. The screw holes fit 3-48 mini socket head screws just right. I also took time to refine the inside so that the remote PCB is a perfect fit. It snaps right in.

It’s super easy to print. I printed it inside up with supports around the outside. I printed this one with clear PETG. The thumbwheel is Nylon. I didn’t design the thumbwheel. I found it on the forum and I swear by it. I’ve tried several thumbwheels for the Puck now and this one is by far my favorite. The large diameter provides excellent micro-control.

The .stl files can be found here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4773674 for anyone that would like to try it out. I’m interested in seeing how others like it.

Btw… this remote enclosure would go perfectly with any of the decks at tomiboiesk8.com :wink:

18 Likes

There is a competition open at the moment that you might be interested in…

5 Likes

Thanks. I’ll take a look at it.

Stealth-Nug

7 Likes

I like it. Looks really slick.

1 Like

I overhauled my design. It’s now a comfy t-spline model. The stock battery can be used now and you no longer have to trim the thee plastic stems by the thumbwheel. You just have to remove the battery housing. Here is the thingiverse link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4773674

8 Likes

So cool! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks man!

Very nice!
(also, my ocd is begging for those layer lines to be sanded)

Non planar slicing :wink: